H1. Available digital backs.

david_murray2

Hi,

What options do I have in digital backs for the Hasselblad H1.

I have an opportunity to get a mint condition body and wish to start using med

format digital for commercial work.

But would it be a waste of money, what options do I have that can be classed as

reasonable?

Thanks for your time.

David.

Nearly all mf digital backs will work on the h1. Leaf, Phase One, Sinar, Mamiya and Hasselblad backs. <p> You can order any of the backs from these companies with an H1 mount. In the case of Sinar, you have an adapter plate which fits on the back for your specific camera. So you can just change the plate to switch camera platforms. With the other backs you have to get the mount changed by the back manufacturer. With Leaf this costs about 1.500 Euros.

Kipling, the Mamiya ZD will not fit anything except a Mamiya camera ... it cannot be

adapted to a Hasselblad H1.

Each digital back maker publishes their compatibility chart. Some are "dedicated" mounts

... meaning built-in and will not work on other MF cameras ( they can be swapped for a

different one, but it's expensive). Phase One, and Leaf have dedicated backs for Mamiya

AFD, Contax 645 and Hasselblad H series. So, in most cases you have to find a back with a

H mount.

However, there are "Universal" versions also which require a separate adapter... for

example the Hasselblad CF backs with a H iAdapter plate, or a Leaf Aptus Universal mount

and a view-camera adapter.

David, IMO you would be better off searching for a H2 kit. The grip battery was much

improved in order to run dedicated digital backs ... and if you eventually go the Hasselblad

digital route you'll need the battery capacity.

In fact, it seems that a complete HD2 kits, with included dedicated back, are going for a

reasonable price compared to buying a camera, and then a separate back.