Want to buy an Olympus cam

tina_sisa

It depends on exactly what you want from your camera. However, since that was the price range I was looking at when I bought my Olympus, you could easily opt for the advanced amateur-type cameras: E510 or E410. I personally like the way the E510 feels in my hand with the right-hand grip, as opposed to the 410's almost perfect rectangle-like design.

A new E510 should run you about $570 with a lower-end Olympus lens. The E410 should go for about $100 less (but I think B&H will offer you two lower-end lenses with it). That should give you a good start anyway while you learn the camera.

But there are quite a few much more proficient Olympus users here who may give you better advice.

By the way, welcome to PN! I'm pretty new here myself.

Good luck!

Sorry, I got a little ahead of myself.

You also have the option of the E500. It should run about the same price of the E410 (maybe less if you shop around better than I do)... you'll lose some megs if larger than normal prints are important to you... however, it's designed more like it's big brother, E510, and has many of the same options. It's a good camera though and serves me quite well when I pull it off the shelf.

The major differences between the 510 and 500 are 10 megapixels to 8, Image Stablization to none, different type of sensor (Panasonic versus Kodak). They're about the same size, the 510 is said to be less noisy in low light. I have a 500. I've been pretty happy with it. You might be able to find a 500 with both kit lenses for about $600 now. One thing, Costco sells a kit, but the lower kit lens is a 17.5-45mm as opposed to the standard 14-45mm in regular retail.

Hi tina,

The advice so far is good although it's all centered on dSLR cameras. If that's what you want (an SLR) I would vote for the E-510 with both kit lenses. If you shop around you can find these kits for around $600. Be careful, though, as most dSLR's come in body's only, kits with one lens and kits with two lenses - be sure of which you're buying.

The other option is a non-SLR camera. Oly makes some great fixed lens ultra zooms. I owned a C-2100 UZ and it was great. Lots of manual controls and the lens and zoom were phenominal. The current top end UZ is the SP-560 UZ. At 8 megapixels, an Equivalent Focal Length of 27-486mm and apeture range of f2.8-f4.5 it sounds like a great camera, and at around $350 it would be a great deal.

If you post a bit more concerning your photo experience and what types of photos you want to shoot, we'd be albe to narrow down the suggestions.

Good luck, Dennis

I have the E-500, and love it. I did jettison the kit 14-45mm lens in favor of the 14-54mm, which is really quite superior glass. I am thinking in a year or so that I may upgrade to the E-3. All in all, I have been thoroughly satisfied with the E-500. Everything in my portfolio, to date, has been taken with that camera. Good luck! Cheers! Chris

Chris, you shot all of that on the E500? Wow! Very impressive! I didn't expect the E500 to perform so well. I wish I had seen that a year ago... I may have saved myself a few hundred dollars with that motivation going into my could-have-used-more-research purchase. I'm not saying I'm not happy with my 510, but I could have traded up at least one of the lenses.

Chris, those are some really fine photographs you have done. (Give yourself a backslap.). I guess the result has sometning to do it with an eye for composition, love of the landscape where you hike, and patience to to work with one shot in the digital darkroom until it just about fits your standard of quality. Am I right or am I right?. If the camera gets ANY credit it is incidental,except that it suits your hand and touch and budget for the moment. True, your good taste extends to using an Olympus product w/ the fine 14-54.

Tina,you came to the right place you realize. Heed the call. Meaning why not an Olympus like the 510 and one lens? Start somewhere. Start with that one. Not much more $ than a set of quality Michelin tires nowadays or a week at a budget motel.good luck gs