Plus sized bride and groom. Need quick advice

gale

I know there must have been lots of threads on this type a question but I need

some quick advice and shooting tips on shooting a wedding where both the bride

and groom are....sort of large framed and plus sized.

I am not a profesional photographer though I have spent much of my life

shooting photos. I typically don't shoot weddings except for family and

friends. I've never had complaints and enjoy it alot. The last wedding I shot

the bride and groom was rather slender particularly the bride allowing lots of

room for expermenting. I burned up 20 rolls of film and we had a ball.

This time I am up against a challenge and I know nobody wants to see a photo

where everyone looks amplified as the camera does, espesially the bride and

groom. I understand the tips of never shoot from below, shoot for angle shots

and utilize structure as props for the plus sized subjects to hide behind of

hide next to and always be positive about their beauty with plenty of positive

comments.

Anything else? My wife is going to help as she is good and seeing things I

might miss through the lens and on the lookout for new settings and

oppertunties.

I already looked over the church the wedding will be held at looking at both

indoor and outdoor (late afternoon to evening) and burned up some film using my

kids as subjects to see if my settings are on.

Final note, here in Idaho, the snow will still be lingering on this early March

wedding day. There will be some out door shots in the snow. I hope for some

clouds but I might have to utilize the shady side of the church for location.

I shoot nothing but Kodak 400 UC when I shoot these kind of assignments.

Thx in advance.

These are some of the key technical elements that have worked for me:

. Camera Viewpoint, slightly higher than normally used for the shot.

. Camera lens, slightly longer than normally used for the shot.

. Subject, (usually applies) to work the body more toward profile than normal, but heads can be front on.

. Half Shots and Dual Half Shots usually work better than Standing Full Length shots.

. Tight head shots and Dual Tight head shots can be brilliant.

. Groups shots (Formals & Family): use children in front; use sitting arrangements; avoid straight line arrangements; avoid wide angle lenses for group shots, but rather favouring good arrangement first, albeit a tighter and a more curved or more tiered arrangement, than normally used for the shot.

. If the male is wearing a coat, if possible leave it buttoned, one button only, and use his hands in front.

. If the female is showing cleavage, use it: as one example use the line of cleavage to move the viewer to the hands of the subjects (see next point) and then to the faces

. Use the hands of both subjects to lead into the shot, be it holding the bouquet, touching the face etc: create a movement with the placement of the hands to distract the viewer`s eye from the subject`s mass, behind the hands.

. Tilted heads and leaning forward into each other, with an high Camera Viewpoint makes for good B&G Formals arrangements

. Use props (natural settings) extensively.

. If appropriate view the subjects wardrobe and advise accordingly: as your wife see things that you miss, that could be her job: tight cutting garments, especially where the skin is are a no, (a dress with tight sleaves cut at the biceps for example): men often have a coat which is too small (around the girth) this is a problem; a dress flowing from under the bust is usually better than one gathered around the waist; etc . . . your wife knows all that I am sure.

. Often the half profile sitting / standing behind combinations in natural settings result in great shots, because you get the higher Camera Viewpoint; the half profile; and the seated subject acts as a barrier for the mass of the standing subject. In these poses I would encourage the use of hands also (as above).

The aim is to get as much movement for the viewer`s eye in the image:

1. in the tight shots that means with the hands expression, especially the eyes and the connectivity of the two subjects.

2. in the longer shots with uses of hands; and props; and arrangements

This internal movement within the final image should be busy enough to punch through emotion and ensure it has an impact greater than the subject`s mass.

There are some links (which were on another question like this) to a mini lecture about this particular type of posing and shooting: I don`t keep track of those things too well, favouring the laborious method of commenting freestyle . . . someone else might provide it?

You should also try the Photonet search function (top right). I recommend you spend the time looking up the old threads on this: there are some good comments there.

WW

You need to have a conversation with the bride and the groom. Like they do know they are not slender: it is their wedding. Make images that make the wedding couple happy //// not hiding 3/4 of either one behind a tree to make 'em look smaller!

Your images need to capture their wedding day.

As a photographer in the midwest where (lets be honest) weight issues are abundant, I have shot weddings of beautiful, slender couples and beautiful, heavy couples. There is no getting around full-body photos if they want formal shots, etc.

I have NEVER had a couple or even the bride be shocked or complain that they look heavy. Yes, you want to compose as best you can, and yes, of course, you want to make them look their most attractive, but ultimately each bride and groom look radiant and happy and that is what shines through to them and their familes who view the photos.

I think you might be more worried than you need to be.

Sometimes I use photoshop. Make a duplicate layer, edit, transform, scale. Just pull the image in maybe up to 5%. Its not enough to be noticed (long faces) but everyone just lost 10KG. This really works well on face shots too, adding youthfulness.

It might seem like faking it but it just as valid as using b&w, non normal lenses, saturated colours, a vignette etc.

William W. covered it all brilliantly. I just want to add a couple of things. Sometimes, especially the groom has a larger middle, in which case, turning the body can be worse than a straighter-on shot, and watch for the vest gap with shirt tail coming out in such cases. Also, if both have larger middles, it can be difficult to lean together so don't overdo that direction. The S-curve "feminine" pose helps larger women but watch for neck fat bunching up with those poses.

Also--while heavier people know very well what they look like, and may even like themselves just as they are, I don't know anyone except people who are already extremely slim, who doesn't want to look slimmer in photos. If it were me, I would certainly appreciate the photographer's skill at doing so.

>>> I just want to add a couple of things. Sometimes, especially the groom has a larger middle, in which case, turning the body can be worse than a straighter-on shot <<< (NO)

At the moment, in my tux, I would look better photographed more front on: and for one, I too would appreciate the photographer taking the time to know that and to address it kindly.

:)O=

(me lying down smiling at my tummy) . . . OK I am allowed some silliness

WW

I just wanted to contribute my two cents to this. While, yes I am sure the bride and groom are well aware of their size, but that doesn't mean that they don't want to look their best. I personally think it should be in the photographer's job description to be aware of what poses will be the most flattering for the B&G. No, I don't think you should just try and hide their bodies in every shot, and nor do I think you should slim them down in every shot, digitally.. But, I like a lot of the tips the first responder gave. I am going to be shooting my first wedding on March 30th, and the bride is a bit larger, so I want to make sure I really have some good ideas in mind to make sure she feels beautiful in her wedding photos..

>>>This is probably more of an fat American issue. How is this handled in Europe, ASIA, etc? <<< (KF)

I am not in the USA: and I mostly shoot the larger person as I described.

Perhaps because of my film origins, post production techniques in this regard do not really interest me.

I interpret your comment to specifically refer to Wedding Work: and in that regard there are (obviously) portly Brides and Grooms, the world over.

Digital enhancement, (obviously) is not limited to the USA, so I guess there are Wedding Photographers who will manipulate the digital image in post production to slim a few pounds away.

IMO, I am using my skill and technical knowledge to make the capture as pleasing as possible but still `true` or `as was` (I cannot think of better words).

I would not feel comfortable manipulating the `as was` dimensions, later, in regard to the record of a Wedding.

WW