Flash setup and learning info for an amatuer

jennifer_sparaco1

Hello everybody,

I'm new to photo.net and an amateur photographer who is venturing into more

serious photography (meaning I want to learn more).

I've taken a course at the local cc...but I'm from a very small town and

there's not much opportunity for formal photo classes.

I have two questions...are there any really good books on photography

especially focusing on the hows and whys of lighting. I've been looking on

the web but some websites that claim to be geared towards amateurs are more

advanced than I understand right now.

Secondly...I have room for a small studio in my home. I'd like to purchase a

lighting package so I can begin to practice with studio lighting. I've been

playing a lot with natural light but would like to have other options to play

with. Most of my pictures are of my four children. I was recently asked by

the local girls hs volleyball team to take a photo of the team in the gym

(they won the state title) and would like a photo. Would a setup appropriate

for a small home studio do dual purpose in a gym setting?

Listen I have no visions of granduer, I'm not charging anybody for the photo,

or my time. I just like to take photos and would like to give them something

slightly better than what mom or dad might take. When I say we are from a

small town I mean small...so going to another photographer is not an option

for such a small project. I'd like to see if we can get the girls outside,

but the weather has been bad and I've been thinking of investing in a small

setup.

I am shooting with a Canon XTI and a 50/1.8 lens. I have a $200-$300 budget.

I've been looking at the alien bees set up but don't know if I should bother.

I've been trying to read some past posts to see if I can answer my questions

with that, but haven't been able to get the exact answer. Also I don't know

if I should just purchase an off camera flash or both.

Any help would be appreciated. I may be moving too fast with this but I'd like

your opinions.

Thanks a bunch,

Jennifer

Mark,

I have actually checked out strobist. While reading I found that Canon seems to be non-compatible with what strobist recommends. Strobist is more advanced than I am ready for and I'm still confused by some of the recommendations. I've still been reading up but am not sure if the strobes are the way to go.

I will check out your first link right now.

Thanks for the quick response.

Jenn

Hi Jennifer,

If you're finding Strobist a little advanced for your needs then parts of "Light: Science and Magic" will be even more so.

Have a look at "Master Lighting Guide for Portrait Photographers" by Christopher Gray.

I have both books and the second one may be a little easier for you to digest. Having said that, if you manage to get your head around "Light:etc." we'll be coming to you for advice!

With regard to lights, I follow the Strobist ethos - using several Nikon SB-800s for portability and ease of use (either manual or Nikon Creative Light System).

Hope this helps

Kevan G

Jenn,

If Strobist is currently over your head, that's fine -- but come back to it when you're ready. It's a fabulous resource.

BTW, the only thing "incompatible" with his recommendations is that he prefers to use Pocket Wizards to trigger off-camera flashes, but you need some extra cables or adapters to use them with Canon. But there are lots of other ways to trigger off-camera flashes anyway.

But don't get hung up on the equipment issues -- Strobist is really about how to use light, not which lights to use.

I second what Kevan said. I own the book by Chris Gray he recommended (to the best of my knowledge-- I have a lot of books) and many others by Amherst Publishing. They are excellent beginner to intermediate level photography.

I'd start w/ one 36-48" umbrella and a good hotshoe strobe (to fire off camera) for what you are suggesting. Once you learn to use it, you may want to purchase a decent monolight or two.

Thank you so much to all of your for your suggestions. I've really found this site to be full of wonderful photographers and people who are willing to share ideas and suggestions. It's been a great place to get some good information for those of use from very small places that rely on the internet and books to get our information.

I'm going to try all of your suggestions. I've picked up the book suggested and can't wait to get it.

Nathan, can you suggest a starting point on where and what type of strobe and umbrella I should be looking for? It would be great to find something used right now just to play around with the thing and then upgrade when I feel like I'm making some strides.

Again, thanks to you all!

Jennifer

If "Light - Science & Magic" is too advanced, read it until it isn't. I just got my copy a couple of days ago, and a number of things are becoming clear on my first read, things that have baffled me in the past. Unless you have a couple of years available for undergraduate physics, this is the place to start.

Actually, I'm pretty comfortable with the physics, and I've been shooting on and off for a long time, but LS&M puts the pieces together in the photographic context very well. It's not just a technique, and I'm sure there are places that will explain how to accomplish specific techniques better, it's the combination of what's happening with the light and how it relates to capturing an image.

I'll finish me first pass through the book tonight, and fully expect to start reading Chapter 1 tomorrow night. I'd say read it once a week until you don't learn anything more, then read it once a year. Anything you read hear or at Strobist will make more sense and be more useful as a result.

Van

Since you said you are an amateur, I suggest you get as many photo books as

possible...not just for "light". I am not an amateur any more. I have over 50 photo books in

my library. I find that I read "something" everyday and usually more than once a day.

These would be my "bathroom readers". Every time I read something, I find that either I

already fully understand what is being stated (means I have learned that concept by heart),

or I am grasping an idea more fully, or thirdly, I still don't quite understand a certain

principle (which means I try to find the same thing in the other books and re-read them

until I do understand them). No one is going to fault you for too much reading...it should

be fundamental to us all. It is really alot of fun to flip pages and find that it is taking awhile

to find something you don't already know! Have fun and experiment alot.

Troup

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks to all for your great suggestions. My books have not arrived yet, but I am anxious to get them. In addition, I have bookmarked all of the web pages you have recommended and am slowing sifting through all of this info.

You are all great and so willing to share information.

Troup...if you could share a few favorites from your library I would appreciate it!

jennifer