Rolleiflex GX- is it worth it?

mark_nowaczynski

Is the Rolleiflex GX worth the price one has to pay for it new? To

put it into perspective, it is not more expensive than most new lenses

for Hasselblad or Rollei 6008 bodies. It is a marvelous piece of

mechanical engineering very reminiscent of a fine mechanical watch

except that it is a wonderful picture making instrument...

It sure is to me. Convenient to use especially with the built-in LED metering. Compact, lightweight and well laid out controls. Accurate TTL flash for those 'hurry' jobs. And not forgetting the very useful Rolleinar close-up lenses which I carry along all the time. Finally, the high performance 80mm Planar HFT lens. Did I miss anything?

Have a nice day.

Paul Chuah

Yes, the GX is worth the price, at least for some uses. The Rollei SL66 was my main camera for years -- mostly for landscapes. However, I found in backpacking that the SL66 was getting rather heavy with age -- mine. I first stopped taking up the full line of lenses, in part because I found the the 80 was becoming my main lens for High Sierra landscapes. I then noticed how light the Rollei TLRs were and decided to buy an F model to see if I would be happy with it.

I was incredibly impressed with the F. However, the F's meter is really not up to serious work. The GX meter is a serious meter. Moreover, the GX 2.8 has very superior multicoating and a much flatter field of focus. The lens is in many respects better than the SL66's HFT 80.

Bottom line, I got the GX, and it's worth it. It is now my main camera. The SL66 is used only is those instances where I know the tilt or a different lens is needed, and where the weight and slow action are not problems.

I occasionally think the Mamiya 7 might be a nice way to go, but then I recall that I like tripod, waist level shooting. (Also some of the web postings appear to indicate some problems with the 7 -- lots are showing up on the used market.) I also like polarizing filters. The Hasselblad, of course, is a great camera. But have you priced one that has a good built-in meter?

The GX actually begins to look like a bargain.

Paul Roark

http://www.silcom.com/~proark/photos.html

I do not own a GX but the body of GX is more like an Rolleicord which does not have the same film transport ('Automatic' film loading) system like model F and earlier models of Rolleiflex TLR lines of cameras. The in-camera exposure metering is handy but it lacks the spot/matrix metering anyway (I use my Nikon to do it). For a little more time I still prefer using my external incident meter. I do not know how good is the TTL flash on GX. I constantly get good result using my model F with flash in Manual mode. I have been using Nikon advanced TTL flash for many years. My conclusion is that it has limitation and got unpredictable results sometimes.

I do not know how good is the HFT coating on the Planar lens on GX.

The coated lens on model F Planar lenses (80/2.8 and 75/3.5) are very good. I often shoot the 75/3.5 lens Planar with the Fuji GA645 (60/f4 with Super EBC). I like the Photo from 75/3.5lens better (deliver more smooth/live feeling and better bokeh) I do not feel the need to have HFT coating for the Planar lenses. I also use the SL66 80/2.8 Planar HFT lens but I like the photos from these TLRs better. One thing the GX does not have is the 75/3.5 Planar lens. It is too sad.

Just pass the info from a Rollei user who said that the GX is more based on Rolleiflex T body. They looks so much different in lookings and functions anyway. As I check the 2.8F Platin is the first HTF lens on 2.8F body(parts) which was made in 1984 (with only 500 units made). GX was introduced/shipped in 1987/1988.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

Is any camera or lens "worth it"?? A Nikon 300mm AFS, a Leica M7 and 35mm Summilux Asph, a Canon EOS 1V and L-series lens? How about a Mamiya 7-II and 43mm lens or a Rolleiflex 6008i? All of these are very expensive pieces of equipment, especially when you compare them to the other end of the spectrum, like Chinese TLR's or Russian Kiev's, or a Nikon 70-300 "G" or a Canon Rebel, or the Voigtlander rangefinder.

For many with less demanding needs, the cheaper item will probably produce about the same results. Of course, they could also buy a cheap digital watch for $10 instead of a $$$$ Rolex. Unless you are a professional with some serious optical and durability issues, no doubt much of the appeal of cameras like the Rolleiflex GX, Leica, or many others is the pride of ownership and the simple appreciation of a quality product. There is a side benefit, too-- these types of cameras tend to have top-notch optical performance, which can often be seen in slides and prints.

One additional benefit that is rarely mentioned is the low depreciation and high resale value of premium cameras and lenses. If purchased with some care and patience, one can often sell an item later for the same price paid or with little depreciation. Compare that to the person who paid $900 for a Voiglander Bessa-L outfit and can't get $350 for it a year later on Ebay.

For the record, I do own a Rolleiflex GX, the 75th Anniversary Special Edition. Although my primary medium format cameras are the Mamiya RZ and 7 series, I do enjoy taking it out for a "spin". I've had a number of Rollei TLR's in the past and find this one to the the best optically, although I will agree with others that mechanically, the Rolleiflex line peaked with the F-series cameras. Indeed, some of the mechanical features of the GX remind me of much cheaper TLRs like the Yashica Mat 124. Yet, the overall quality and handling are pure Rollei, and other photographers enjoy looking at and handling the camera as much as I.

I've used TLR's for years, rolleiflex. rolleicord, mamiya, yashica. They all sit on the shelf these days since I got into hasselblad. I love the ease of eyelevel 45 degree viewing and focusing with a handle on the focusing ring. The blad has a special "hand" not found in may other cameras. I travel with the blad and a contax G and 4 CZ lenses. Pretty light to carry and compact for a guy about to collect Social Security. I use 6x7 when I'm working from the car.