120 film loading problem

pbajzek

I am new to medium format photography (having just purchased a Bronica SQ-B), and after shooting my

first 2 test rolls, it seems I'm doing something wrong. Both rolls are fogged for the first 3 frames as in the

attachment. I have the manual and I've followed the instructions closely, but perhaps I missed something.

I admit I was casual about keeping things totally dark, so perhaps that's the problem. Any suggestions

would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.<div>00O1GO-40992784.thumb.jpg.a9a8856864e5567e5ab08b9025e27a01.jpg</div>

The progressive nature of the damage suggests that the roll was allowed to partly unwind during the loading process. Make sure you keep a finger or thumb on the feed roll to keep it from unwinding and for back tension while loading until you take up the slack with the takeup reel.

Thanks for the comment, Edward. As the hinge seems light-tight, I think this may be the

solution. I did not take any special precautions to keep the spool tight while winding, and I

can easily see how I could have mangled things in this regard. I appreciate the advice.