Using calls to bring in the wildlife.

dave_weber1

I am thinking of purchasing some game calls to attract wildlife to my

camoflaged blind/hide. I thought this might be a way that I could get some

decent shots of large predators in the wild. I shoot a 400mm lens on a Fuji S3

body.

I live in Northern Wisconsin, USA. I was hoping to call in Wolves, Bear, Fox,

Coyote, Fisher, and maybe even eagles (golden and bald).

I need to choose between a manual type of call(e.g. by blowing into a handheld

call) and one that uses pre-recorded animal noises.

Any advice from those of you with experience in this area would be greatly

appreciated. Which type of call works the best? Any particular model or

manufacturer recommended?

Mark, I'll be calling in the black bears, not grizzlies. Up here, the black bears are fairly harmless.

I checked out the thread you referred me to. Thanks, it was very interesting. But I'm not wanting to debate the ethics of using calls like they did in that prior thread.

I've already made the decision to do it, and I just wanted advice on the most effective means to do it.

Dave,

I've only used calls for deer and turkeys, with mixed results.

I had a some luck with the buck call, which was a flexable tube about six inches long with a reed at one end. Got him to come in real close.

Didn't have as much luck with the turkey call which was a call-pot (probably bad technique by me). Got them interested, but couldn't pull them in.

Haven't used them in a while, haven't gone shooting for them in a while either.

I found an article on bear calls, maybe you've already seen it.

http://www.gamecalls.net/huntingtips/callingandhuntingbears.html

Personally I prefer the "manual" calls.

Can't really explain why except the lame excuse that it seems more 'natural'.

eric-

Turkey calls are generally only effective in the spring, during mating. At that time of year they can be highly effective if used correctly. The easiest animals to call are deer. The hardest (in my experience) are coyotes. They are extremely wary and will usually circle down wind of you before coming in. The reason they are wary is odds are they've been shot at a few times. Calls can work, but you have to know when and how to use them. With the smarter animals (coytes, bobcats) you are only going to get one photo and then they'll be gone. Not sure I'd want to be attracting bears. What if they come from a direction you weren't expecting? Black bears aren't always "nice" and what's your strategy for dealing with that?

Kent in SD

Kent,

Thanks for the post.

I wasn't asking the question. Dave was.

As I stated, my turkey calling could probaly use some practice. Which is why I wasn't successful.

And I agree with you about the coyotes. Darn skittish critters. Except if you're goose hunting in ND, it snowing and your resting against a hay-bail downwind. Then they come real close or at least one did. I don't know who was more surprised him (yes that close) or me.

As sad as it sounds, I've seen more black bear in Northern Minnesota/Ontario dumps than in the 'wild'.

I've also found that deer are pretty curious. Outside of hunting season or in protected areas they'll approach fairly close if you just stand still and try not to look too much like a human.

What got me thinking about this was this last weekend, I spent two days with DNR wolf biologists tracking a pack of wolves using snow shoes. The wolf expert, showed me how to call wolves with howls which he made with his mouth (no artificial call what-so-ever). Realizing I couldn't do it without help, I thought of maybe buying a tape player with pre-recorded wolf howls on it.

Saw a book at B&H that may be useful to you.

"The Master Guide for Wildlife Photographers, Master Photographer Bill Silliker shows you how to use tracking calls, and blinds' strategies typically used by hunters to get close to animals' to get intimate portraits of wild subjects."

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/302915-REG/Amherst_Media_1768_Book_The_Master_Guide.html

The go-to supplier for calls etc. is generallly www.cabelas.com. Any good full line sporting goods store should have a good selection too. In my region that's chains like Scheels, Cabelas, Bass Pro Shop, SPortsmans Warehouse, and so on. Again, turkey calls generally only work in Spring, from what I've seen. You do want to be careful about using predator calls in mountain lion country.

Kent in SD

I'd be a bit wary about trying to call in bears. Actually, I'm not even sure about what sound you would use. Anyways, although most black bears are harmless and will run away upon seeing you, there always a chance you could somehow call in a sow with a cub or two. If you frighten the cub, or end up between a cub and its mother, that mother is not going to seem so harmless anymore. Finally, I agree with Eric. Dumps are the best place to see bears. Usually, you can just shoot from the safety of your car window.

Go to Wikipedia and search for fatal bear attacks. More people have been killed by black bears than grizzlies. Although, there certainly are many, many more black bears.

Do not assume that all of these deaths are by people doing stupid things. They clearly are not. Black bears, occasionally view people as a food source and a predatory black bear is not something to mess with. If one wants to ambush you, he will and you won?t see him coming.

A common misconception is that bears are safe unless they have cubs. Well, that is especially true with grizzlies, but there are no deaths from a female black bear attributed to a mother with cubs.

I would suggest anyone with an interest in wildlife photography to read Bear Attacks: Their Cause and Avoidance by Stephen Herrero ($11.53 at Amazon.com).

A predator call just may cause a Black Bear to become predatory towards humans. I would also be very leery of using a predator call in mountain lion county.

Hopefully, you do not try this in early spring when the bears become active at a time when little food is available.

I think common sense is more important than the "laws". As the laws change depending on where you go and are in my opinion in place to protect the people (and animals) because many people are stupid. However, I would advise against calling moose during rut. I have heard that can get a BAD response. I have heard good things from hunters about using electronic calls for birds. Call bears with honey. Ha ha.

The use of calls may differ from park to park. I know for sure that in Rocky Mountain NP "...Use of wildlife calls and spotlights is illegal. They stress animals and alter their natural behavior..."

It was my impression that similar rules apply in most parks.

Wounded animal calls have been effective for me in calling small predators such as coyotes and owls, which are abundant here in Texas. Crow calls will also bring in other crows from miles around.

I can do a pretty good gobbler call without any device and it's very useful at times. Even outside of mating season toms can be territorial and will investigate potential rivals. Don't forget to add some scratching in the dirt - they'll paw at the ground too.

• 2 months later...