The Square!

john clark

Hi everyone.

Though I sold my Mamiya 7mkII a couple of years back, I'm still a big fan of MF

photography - there is something which marks it out from the high-res dSLR

output, and I hope soon to return to the MF fold.

What I really like, though, is the Square format - 6x6.

Without getting too tied up in equipment details, I'd love any 'Square Shooters'

to speak up and point me in the direction of their work. Just for fun!

Portfolios, or links to sites with square compositions (even if they're 'faked'

by being cropped) - especially portraits and street scenes!

I'm thinking Bronica SQB as a cheap re-entry into the MF world, but at the

moment even a decent TLR would be fine...

ta,

John

I've always been of the opinion that the subject ought to dictate the format, not the other way round. As a former user of the 6x6cm format, its attraction for me was always that it could be cropped in any number of ways, and that the camera could be used with a waist level finder all the time (even if you held it upside down over your head!).

I hardly ever printed square.

I'm also dead set against those panorama fascists who'd like to see us all using a frame with the proportions of the golden-mean. Their logic for choosing the 16:9 format is totally flawed, since dividing a golden-mean proportioned frame by the golden section itself simply gives us a square inside the frame. And as any student of classical composition knows, the square is one of the least aesthetically appealing shapes.

Most of my lanscapes are square from hasselblad. It took a couple of years to compose pictures that way, at first I cropped to 645.

www.tonyestcourt.co.uk

Now I run a few different projects and techniques at any one time and I have a favourite "panoramic B&W" look as well.

Also check out David Henderson who posts here quite a bit (an SQA user I think). This will give you some inspiration to get the Bronica!

I make no great claims, as I'm just slowly working my way into it, but at http://www.pbase.com/dw_thomas/sqa you will find my SQ-A and some of the stuff I've pointed it at. There are links at the top of that to some pages with additional squares scattered through, plus I've scanned a few ancient (ca. 1976) shots from an ancient TLR at http://www.pbase.com/dw_thomas/oldies6x6

DaveT

hi john

nice thread. the problem of achieving classical proportions in squares is interesting because the conventional way to develop ratios is through the relationships between edges, and 1:1 doesn't "move". i found hambidge's books particularly relevant on this topic. i like squares exactly because, classically speaking, they are so appalling. but the intensity of a dymnamic symmetry accomplished within a square can be stunning.

later that day just across the street from the office in Brussels.<br>

While fetching a sandwich for noon.<p>

(Who said you can't make pictures while you work in an office.) <br>

same camera, lens and film (125/F8 or there about) sligtly rectified in Photoshop.<p><div>00O3Gg-41055184.jpg.7d363fc99cf2ee8aec00a6a82e223289.jpg</div>

I've been shooting Mamiya TLR for about 25 years and more recently a Hasselblad....square is good, although I don't mind shooting or cropping to a rectangular format when appropriate (either with my Pentax 67 or Ebony 45SU). I let the image be the guide for my final print format, as others have indicated also. Here's a sample of my square work.

Have fun with it John.

Gary Benson

Eagle River, Alaska

I have shot extensively in almost all the aspect ratio's available...and though I have spent time totally away from film...I think I will probably return to the square format for special projects.While I can crop my digital images to square..my attraction is more to the mystique of the entire process...looking at the ground glass...the feel of the "blad"..and the look of the film.

And square feels right to the eye for a number of subjects.<div>00O5Jp-41119784.thumb.jpg.20b8e7d01bce725534996b89d971177a.jpg</div>

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting thread. See my b&w portfolio here, with most images taken with a Mamiya C330 and Rolliecord IV: http://www.photo.net/photodb/member-photos?user_id=827968

I find that when printing black and white from square negatives, I most often end up making a square or near square format print. Rarely, however, do I print 35mm negatives in a square format. I am not sure why I see things this way, but I rarely use the whole 8x10 print size when printing with square negatives.