Confused by Nikon Autofocus options: D40x not behaving as anticipated

larry n.

I thought I understood the basics of Nikon's autofocus options.

I thought that AF-C meant that the shutter would fire even if not in focus.

However, with the D40x it seems the shutter will not fire until it's in focus

even in AF-C.

Also have it set to Manual exposure and continuous shooting.

Is there a custom setting that is overriding the AF-C setting?

I'm not familiar with the D40, but I know other Nikons have a "release priority" option that can be set independently for AF-S or AF-C. Try looking in the autofocus settings for something like this - sorry I can't tell you for sure.

Interesting wrinkle that I hadn't anticipated. My guess is Nikon is implementing focus priority for AF-C focusing mode on the first shot because otherwise with only 3 AF sensors and more limited capabilities there is a distinct likelihood that every shot would be OOF if the first one is not in focus.

If you switch to AF-C ( for moving objects), camera will focus continuously WHILE SHUTTER IS PRESSED HALF! WAY----In this case priority will be given to shutter response.Having said that the shutter maybe released before > in focus < indicator will be displayed.

Raf

In the D200, there's a Custom Function un der the titel "AF-C Priority Selection" that let's you chose between three options. One of them is "FOCUS: Photos can only be taken when in-focus indicator is displayed". Not sure about the D40x, but if that function is vavilable, perhaps you have that option checked, and shouls check the option that lets you fire even when focus is not achieved.

"Not sure about the D40x, but if that function is available"

> It is not. The fact is that Nikon designed the D40 and D40x for consumers and expect users of those cameras to simply rely on Scene modes. Basically, they are trying to make the camera "fool proof".

"It is not. The fact is that Nikon designed the D40 and D40x for consumers and expect users of those cameras to simply rely on Scene modes. Basically, they are trying to make the camera "fool proof"."

I thought the old AF-C function (circa F-100) was fool proof. You push the button, you get a picture. Sometimes a slightly blurry shot is better than at all. Especially when you're not wasting film.

Oh, well.

Hi Norman,

I would go back to my earlier reply. It's not just the one shot, it could end up being the entire sequence of shots. If you want a digital version of the F-100, the D200 comes really close (people niggle over the AF) and the D300 is better.

I have always recommended against the D40 and D40x for anyone who is serious about photography. Reading about your experience reinforces my opinion about that. I would not characterize the D40 and D40x as "beginner" cameras; I would characterize them as "consumer" cameras in the truest sense of the word in that they are cameras that "just takes pictures".

"I like the size of D40x...which is its standout feature."

> Personally, I think my D70 cameras are too small; but to each their own. There is a lot of clamor among enthusiasts for a digital FM2n, perhaps someday Nikon will make a small DSLR that can meet more demanding photographer's expectations. The D40 and D40x are not photographer's cameras IMHO, they are consumer's cameras.

"I do think it's a design mistake that AF is always focus priority for the first shot."

> No argument from me about that.

"So far this is my biggest gripe with the camera."

> My biggest gripe would be that over half my lenses would not AF at all on that camera.

Oh, one more gripe.

My eyes are going bad and I need glasses soon. I was handed a D40 by a woman one day because she wanted me to take a picture of her and her son; the viewfinder was blurry and I could not adjust the diopter to accommodate my failing eyes -- this is not a problem with my other Nikon DLSRs.