Extension Tubes or reverse mount??

john_kelsey

Hello,

I am getting a nikkor 50mm f1.8 for my Nikon D80, and I am wondering what

would be my best option for Macro photography with this lens.(do not want to

get a devoted macro lens at this time). What are the pros / cons of a Kenko

extension tube set over a reverse coupler and 52mm adapter if necessary?

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

JOhn

Either way you're compromising the optical quality of your lens. Reverse mounting is best for high magnifications. Extension tubes are better for lower magnifications, as long as they aren't too long. Close-up diopters actually might give you better results if you can get really close to your subject and if corner sharpness is not important. You can also buy older less expensive macro lenses, such as the Vivitar, that are actually pretty good and will certainly produce better results than any of the three methods mentioned above.

As Mike says, reverse mounting of a lens will not produce sharper macro photos until you are significantly greater than 1:1 magnification. It's a matter of optical design. Extension tubes are not too bad but compromise optical speed, and sometimes create compatability problems in coupling the lens to the camera. For convenience it's hard to beat a 1 or 2 diopter close-up lens attached to the front of your normal lens.

Try one of this (~$25). It will turn your 50 into a 100/3.5 1:10 to 1:1 macro. It should tie you over until you can get a macro lens. Note: manual focus and DIY metering. Either that or wait for a good day where you can get a used manual focus macro lens for $30.

the 50 mm is not the best lens for reverse mounting, A wide angle lens gives you more magnification. I am not sure what the actual magnification is with the 50mm. I use an old 28mm screw mount lens and just leave the Br-2a mounted to that in my bag (I made my own adapter so I can stop it down instead of just having it wide open.)

The reverse adapter is the cheapest way to start, and you may find after you get it that you also want extension tubes.

What I shown is not a 3X converter. It is a special macro 2X convertor that has some kind of lens movement and extension inside. I only seen them with a Panagor (Kiron) brand. Panagor, the same people who made the 105mm Kiron/Dine/Vivitar macro. It won't turn a 50mm into a super sharp 100mm macro but the result is not as poor as a 3X or some old 2X would yields. I would say it is simular to another macro converter, the Vivitar 2X macro converter. The panagor converter has two plus. It is less well known so it can be found for less. Last but I think the most neat feature (I have not measure it) is that, (back telecentric?), I could focus hand held with the focus ring in the converter alone. This make it super easy for someone who are not use to rocking back and fore, no focus rail or don't feel like rocking to focus.

A three piece extension tube set will give you up to 6 different magnification ratios plus fine tuning with the lens helix. The reversing adapter will give just one magnification ratio. With the lens you have I would suggest the extension tube set as more versatile and providing better image quality.

BTW, you do have a good tripod I hope. Macro photography will usually require longer exposures and any camera movement will affect image quality. Good luck

For my D80 I have Kenko tubes and a reversing ring for my Nikkor 50m. I'm not an expert but one point to ponder is that wth the reversing ring you get no metering at all, and it is hit and miss until you get an acceptable exposure. My rings permit normal, through the lens, metering which is a boon.

I have the Kenko Auto Extension Tube Set as well as the Nikon BR2A and BR3. The Kenko Tube set is very versatile and can be used with many of your AF Nikkor lenses. I even used them with my 70-300mm ED-IF AF-D 1:4-5.6 zoom lens. This set is worth the investment and will give you multiple magnification ranges as another poster suggested. I got my Kenko tubes from B&H Photo and have not regretted it.

The BR2A lens reversal does work, but you are limited to one range of magnification. I just now have taken possession of the BR2A and BR3 after an exhaustive eBay search, watching, and bid battling to get mine. Some can be found cheap; others go for higher than new. If you can afford it, get the Kenko tubes and the BR2A and BR3.