Fill light

stefano_buricchi

Hello. If using a softbox as the main light, is it common to use a second

softbox (maybe smaller, or further back, an umbrella) as the fill light? I'm

very new to studio flash photography and just learning. I like the look of a

softbox as main light and a silver reflector for fill (b&w portrait), but I'm

curious to know what else people use to fill with, ie, what other type of

modifiers such as an umbrella, normal reflector, etc... Doesn't seem right to

use soft diffused light as main, then fill with harsh light.

Thanks in advance for the help Stefano.

Harsher light as fill should not be that much of a problem, since fill is not as strong as the main light, and if you don't see the shadows from the fill light, you will not see a huge difference. However, it makes sense, of course, to use softer light as fill as well, when you can. Fill in the studio can be anything from a reflector, flash in an umbrella or softbox, or wall bounce. Whatever works.

By definition, a fill light is a light that illuminates all of the subject, so the only criteria for portraits is that is should be as close as possible to the lens and on axis with it - in other words either above or below the lens.

Generally, a fill light is fairly soft but I've been doing some experiments with a ring flash which, as it surrounds the lens, is an ideal fill - the light is harsh but it can work well.

It depends on what you are filling and the depth of the light you are looking to achieve and how you want to control the light.

A softbox provides nice soft even illumination, but it is directional. An umbrella also provides nice soft even illumination but it scatters light more broadly, so it is harder to control unless you are carefully flagging or controlling reflections. A reflector is going to reflect back a fraction of the light it receives and, therefore, if you are using it to fill shadows left by the key (bouncing it back) it won't usually cast shadows of its own and therefore is not typically harsh. A nice big reflector is a very nice fill.

Remember that the softness of the light comes from the size of the lightsource compared to the subject (the larger the softer), so a very large or very close reflector can be an equally soft light source.

There is very little difference between the perceived "softness" of an umbrella or softbox, or reflector all other things being equal. But it is easier to control depth of light together with softness of light with a softbox because you can vary the power independent of the distance.

What each tool can give you is different control or lack of control of the light with the appropriate modifiers, but in my experience it is more about where light goes and does not go as opposed to "softness" or quality of light.

Therefore, I use them interchangeably. I am used to and can work easily with two softbox setup for portraits. But out of doors I like umbrellas to "fill" daylight or viceversa.

Stefano,

In addition to all the good advice/info above, I'd like to add a few more comments about reflectors as a fill source. I really like reflectors, and use them a lot for individual portraiture. I generally choose a reflector for fill when I want to keep the fill on the subject and not elsewhere on the set. I often use two reflectors, one to kick light up to put sparkle in the eyes and another to fill in on the shadow side of the subject. If I am using a smaller main light, such as a head fitted with a parabolic reflector, I skip the reflector and use a fill light. I also use a fill light when doing group portraits. It's hard to get even fill across a group with just a reflector. When I am using a separate light for fill, I usually bounce it off a white wall behind the camera or, when out of the studio, a large umbrella is usually my choice. Like others, I do mix things up though. I do like to use a harder fill source on occasion. It can give a certain "shine/glow" to the shadows.

Good luck with your lighting endeavors.