Dimage Elite F2900 installation?

Any one has a clue how properly install this scanner on XP?

I can prescan but not scan and save, error message #108.

Minolta #2885 appears in the Device Manager but having problem not finding the

driver for it. I have the original Dimage Scan Elite CD Win. V1.0.2.

Never again an other Minolta equipment. The support was farmed out to Sony

and can not find the proper information.

Not sure I can help. I have a F2900 that I have installed, uninstalled and reinstalled numerous times without difficulty. The problem I had is that the Digital Ice with the 2900 will not play nice with the Digital Ice on my Epson 4990, so to switch from one scanner to the other I have to uninstall and reinstall. (Example: Switch from the Epson to the 2900: Uninstall the Epson driver, reinstall the Minolta driver, turn on the 2900, reboot.) Annoying, but it works. I have used the original disk, and a downloaded driver, both equally successfully. Windows XP, Service Pack 2, Pentium IV, 2 gigs of RAM. Scanning through Photoshop 6 and, more recently, CS2.

I have been doing this so long that I honestly forgot what the hassle was that led me to this work around, but I suspect it was similar to yours. It is partcularly annoying since I don't use the Digital Ice, scanning silver-based black-and-white film, mostly.

I have the Acard Technology AEC-6712TU Ultra SCSI adapter in a PCI slot. I don't think the card is the problem: If it was, you probably would not get the pre-scan. Still sounds like a software conflict to me, but if you do not have another scanner installed, it is probably not the same one I have with the Epson software. In your shoes I would be inclined to download Vuescan - it is highly regarded and not terribly expensive - probably less than another SCSI card. I believe it supports the Minolta scanner, and it should be easier to get some tech support if the problem persists.

Nice scanner if you can get it working - lower resolution, etc. than some of the newer ones but mine has been dead reliable, once I sorted out the software conflict. (Be warned - I am not much of a computer expert. Even though I built this one from components, I learn just enough to get the bloody thing working.)

Actually the card you are using is still on market here and very reasonable for scsi:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816123103

I did removed my Adaptec card and placed it into my old computer that runs WIN ME and the scanner works great as you can see from the attached photo. It works all modes, slides, negatives and b&w. in the scan mode. What?s get me that in the scan mode it

produce two photos, once the original and the other one is the improved version and let you choose the one that to be saved.

Strange but let it be. I believe Minolta interface has lots of glitches. If you Google you come on of lot horror stories, especially with their USB scanners.

I have on order the Adaptec 2940U scsi card since the user manual listed this card that been tested with this scanner and supposedly works, but for Neweeg one could not go wrong, just hate to chase my tail around this problem.

Will let you know how this Adaptec card 2940U will work with XP.

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

This scanner used to work fine for me in XP SP2, but now I'm getting the same problem - the preview scan works fine, but the full scan fails with the mysterious Error = -108.

I've tried uninstalling the "Minolta Scan Elite" driver via Device Manager & reinstalling, but no luck. I also tried Vuescan, but it won't detect the scanner at all. The Konica Minolta support site doesn't have any KB articles on the error either. I'm wondering if it might be related to XP SP3 which I recently installed? Support seems to have been taken over by Sony, so I'll try that route next or possibly try installing on a clean, older version of XP.

• 5 months later...

<p>Sandor<br>

I have exactly the same issue; F-2900 works on W2K but not on XP. I get the prescan but error-108 and no scan. Original Adaptec SCSI card. I would love to resolve this frustration and get back to work. I have tried all amateur 'fixes' and cannot contribute anything constructive in the way of a true fix but would love to hear if someone else solves the riddle.<br>

cheers<br>

mark</p>

• 5 months later...
<p>I know a lot of time has gone by, but I found exactly the same trouble a week ago when I first try to scan some slides after upgrading to Windows XP SP3. Following your advices I have tried Vuescan and it works. That would be enough, but not only that, it does it much better than the original Minolta software.</p>

• 1 month later...
<p>I posted a detailed answer to this yesterday, but it doesn't show here. In case it's waiting to appear and to prevent duplication I'll give a brief summary: DS_Scan for Scan Elite (SCSI), last version 1.04 under Windows XPSP3 sometimes abends with runtime error=-108 on trying to save a scan; I don't know about other versions. This happens on machines with a lot of memory; for me the program works with 1GB and not with 2GB, I've not tried anything in between. You can edit the configuration so the machine seems to have 1GB by using msconfig or by directly editing boot.ini (dangerous if you get it wrong); the machine will have only 1GB of memory available at next boot. You can edit the configuration back the way it was and reboot to have your memory back. HTH</p>

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 years later...
<p>Thanks Michael Salem. After not using my Minolta Dimage Scan Elite scsi scanner for many years, I tried to get it going again and had a lot of hassle with the error -108. After reducing the ram in msconfig for win xp sp3 it works like dream. Thanks for the help!</p>