Lloyd Chambers on M8 as IR camera

blakley

Pardon this pruriently non-scientific interjection, but does anyone know how well or

not the Hoya R72 (720nm) filter behaves for b&w (lower case!) IR imaging on the M8?

Is it somewhere betwen the 092 and 093 in effect? What is the best IR filter for b&w

landscapes withthe M8, taking into account the question of degree of IR effect on the

image and image quality concerns. Is much lost by shooting in highest pixel jpeg fine

rather than in RAW?

I've not used an R72, but I think it's stronger than the 091 red filter I usually use for IR on the M8, and the 091 is strong enough to give me a definite IR look, though without the nice halation effects I came to love in HIE. I think "best IR filter for landscapes" with any camera is highly subjective; you'll probably have to experiment. I like a relatively "strong" IR look with landscapes (i.e. quite dreamy - very bright whites, dark skies, lots of halation), but a more subtle look when I use IR for portraits.

Can you borrow a filter for a day or so & try it out? I really think that would be the best course of action.

Re: APO vs. non-APO lenses. I've shot with many of Leica's non-APO lenses on the M8 in IR; I've also shot with the Voigtlander APO-Lanthar. I find that APO makes as close as possible to zero difference when shooting landscapes, unless you're trying to get a close foreground element in focus. An APO designation does not of course mean that the lens will focus IR at the same plane as visible light in any event. The 75/2 Summicron ASPH performs very well in IR on the M8 with not much IR focus shift. Again, best to experiment, but I'd advise you to choose your lens primarily based on the angle of view you want and then practice a little to get the focus right.

Bob, although not an APO, my simple Tessar lens apparently gave me better focusing

of the IR waves than my more complex lenses (the aspherical 21 or 35mm lenses,

each containing many more glass surfaces) when used with HIE. Of course, a

correction to focussing can always be made manually. The different plane of focus

was less of a problem with Sakura or Konica 750 IR films, probably because they were

less responsive to as much of the IR radiation gamut as the Kodak film. I could get

some halation with the Konica though. but nothing like the HIE.

I will try my dark red (No. 29) and the Hoya 72 with the M8.