nikon 85mm 1.4 OR 85mm 1.8

photo_girl1

The ancients know that perspective is determined by where you are with respect to the subject. Its a many thousands of years old commonly known thing with artists; painters; cave dwellers. If focal length determines perspective then maybe the color of the lens cap does too; or the films asa? Lets not confused folks with trumped up things. Perspective is determined by where you are with respect to your subject. Say this 10 times.

What I said about doing head shots with 50mm lens is still valid, but perhaps not as critical with DX format as with FX, because you are not as close to the subject with the DX.

About perspective being related to focal length. Bjorne Rorslet said it is merely a function of distance, so I guess I was misinformed about that. I would, however, like to see a proof of that, if anyone can post a link.

About perspective. If you shoot a model with an 18mm lens and a building is in the background, the building looks farther away than in real life. If you shoot the same model with a 300mm lens, the building looks much closer than in real life. Of course, you would normally move closer to the model when using the 18mm lens.

So the distance between the model and the building looks much different between the two shots. That's what I was talking about.

So I don't really care about what happens when you crop out the tiny center portion of a shot taken with an 18mm lens and compare that to a full frame shot taken with a 300mm lens.

Many photography textbooks talk about this an being different perspectives for different focal lengths.

Paul, I wasn't trying to be a know-it-all, but I think I am correct about this. Even after shooting many years, it took me a long time to realize this principle, but it has been a useful realization which is relevant to photo girl's post at least to the extent that she is probably going to be using an 85 at a greater distance to the subject for some of her portraits than it would be used on full frame, and it is useful to understand exactly what the different effect will be, but since she didn't ask about that specifically, as you say, it can be discussed elsewhere.