Color Setting on Camera

mary_beth_aiello

Get a RAW converter (Lightroom, Adobe's Camera RAW, or DPP if you have to) and

experiment with RAW+JPG. With the RAW files you can get anything, from sRGB, via

AdobeRGB to ProRGB (that's what i like) and the JPGs give you a translation of your camera

settings from the actual RAW capture. Now with the RAW converters yo can try and mimic

those results or improve on them. All said, i usually start with ProRGB (to keep all the existing

colors of the captured image), convert to AdobeRGB (which is what i use for clients that do

prepress and for high end Lab prints) and sRGB for the web (it's great for Monitor and simple

prints (Costco etc.). Oh, and calibrate your monitor...

I used to think that Adobe RGB would be better - but it can cause serious nightmares when you try to print pictures yourself. What can happen if you're not careful is that the color profiles get misaligned between your monitor and printer, and you'll get some really wacky results (while wasting a lot of ink and paper).

Your monitor is sRGB. Shooting your pictures that way ensures a better match onscreen. Color management is difficult, and I've never seen proof that Adobe RGB looks any better.

Robin is right about RAW, too - if you shoot RAW you choose your ppi & color settings right before opening up in Photoshop.