tamron 17-50mm f2.8 coming to pentax

ashley_b1

Actually this is kind of is big news. I bought the Tamron 17-50 as the "kit" lens for my EOS back in April '07 and it's a star. Light (plastic) mid-lens-line build quality, but optically it can take on the very best out there and hold it's own. It is as sharp as several EOS primes I tested it against. Having it in a K mount is a very good thing.

My K10d is in the mail from Beachcamera and I'm going to wait until early February to pull the trigger on the DA* 50-135 just to see if any thing happens after the current rebates end; plus I still have to sell off the Canon gear. I loved my Tamron but also really enjoyed my Canon USM lenses (Ultrasonic focusing; which the Tamron won't have); I think I'm still going to pair the DA*50-135 with the DA*16-50 to keep the ultrasonic motor. Figure if I'm going all in on Pentax I might as well keep it all "Pentax"...for now anyway.

Thanks again for the info... very happy to hear about growing 3rd party Pentax support... helps to reinforce my switch.

/Roger

"Actually this is kind of is big news. I bought the Tamron 17-50 as the "kit" lens for my EOS back in April '07 and it's a star. Light (plastic) mid-lens-line build quality, but optically it can take on the very best out there and hold it's own. It is as sharp as several EOS primes I tested it against. Having it in a K mount is a very good thing. "

Ditto for me but I tested it against Pentax primes. I think it's a wonderful lens.

Many of us, myself included, were late to enter the Pentax game, and we don't have any crummy ol' Pentax primes to fall back on. Just try finding them on KEH or eBay without paying a fortune... it's not easy. Having a fast, nice quality, mid-range zoom will be very nice for those of us who can't afford to spend big bucks on genuine Pentax glass.

One of the main reasons I bought a Pentax DSLR was because so many folks on this forum went on and on about how many wonderful, plentiful, inexpensive Pentax primes were available on the used market. Rrrrrrrriiiiiiiight.

[Hi Ashley, I did not pray]

Oooh, you bad boy Markus! I will blacklist you with the Tamron distributors and you shan't get one ;-)

[i too will take your old crummy lenses when the new stuff comes in.]

Hehe. You can have my kit lens!

On second thoughts, I'll be hanging on to that too since it is so small and light. Alas, I've only got a few lenses so I don't need to get rid of any. The only ebay purchase I've made so far is a 50mm f1.4 M... which has convinced me that I need to replace the focusing screen because it's impossible to get anything in focus at f1.4 without one!

[English broken most loved by me. To see glad I am that computer machine translation the feel it maintains of human translation history.]

LOL. You should have seen the translation when I mistakenly chose the "translate from japanese" option instead. Rather than "Pentax (upcoming)" it said "Pentax (speedy train)". I read it and was like, that's got to mean it's coming soon right?

Anyway, I'm pleased it's coming to Pentax. It's lighter and should be about half the price of the Pentax 16-50mm (but no SDM & weather sealing). From all reports the IQ should be close to (or exceed?) the Pentax 16-50mm. And unlike the Canon and Nikon users, we get it with image stabilization (which *was* one of the reasons I chose Pentax). Having never had the pleasure of owning a f2.8 zoom I'm rather looking forward to it.

Sorry R.T.!

I still find old Pentax lenses (like the K F4 200mm and Pentax A F 3.5 35-105mm last week) but not on the Bay but smaller auctions and flea markets or second hand stores. If you don't mind using M42 screwmount lenses, you will find even more hidden treasures from various brands. Of course it's getting

harder and more expensive and fast 50mm primes and long lenses get maxium bids nowadays but that can change again if a new Pentax/Tamron DA lens line finally hits the market.

I bought one on ebay for $231 today. Did I buy the right thing? I have a Pentax K100D Super and the seller said it was for Pentax (and purchased new at a Calif. camera shop in Mar. '07) even though I asked him if Tamron made this for Pentax yet. Here's the ebay description: "Tamron SP AF 17-35mm F2.8-4 Di LD Lens for Pentax AF"

Any thoughts?