Carrying the 70-200VR

jon_barlow1

I spend a great deal of time hiking, much of the time with my camera gear which

includes a D80 + 70-200VR. Because of the weight and size of the lense, it

usually gets carried in my backpack where it takes at least 30-seconds to

retreive. I end up missing shots of Osprey's, Redtails, and other skittish

creatures. I would appreciate any success stories on how to carry it in a more

accessible way (chest-strap, sling, etc) while still hiking for excercise.

Pipe dream?

I have been carrying this lens on a D200 in Northeast Greenland. I mostly carried it in one hand and balanced that with a riffle in the other hand... I am not fond of riffle shoulder straps or strapping a riffle to the backpack since if you need to use it - in this case for self defense against Musk Ox or Polar Bear - you are likely to need it fast. Then you would not want the strap to get entangled in the tripodhead etc. Likewise with the lens as you say. When you need it you are likely to need it fast. For me the 70-200 VR was my general walk-around lens. If I needed to do WA landscape or macro it was off with the backpack for the lens change.

I like the thinktankphoto.com DH40(digital holster). It has an expandable bottom. You can carry your 70-200 and when you want something a little shorter like a 17-55, zip it and it makes it more compact. It can work with a/their belt to make it a little more stable. You can also attach another lens case to the belt. Excellent build and great service.

For more stuff to carry, I use a Tamrac Velocity 9. It'll hold a 10-20, 17-55, and 70-200vr mounted. It swings around to the front pretty quickly and painlessly. The sling design does eat into your shoulder after a while. I threaded a Tamrac belt thru the original waist belt slot to transfer most of the weight to the belt. I also added a couple of accessory straps between the belt and pack to pull the weight in closer to my back. I have carried this setup up to six hours on a hike(with stops) without a problem.

Good luck.

Like Hiro, I like the Think Tank holster. In my case, I opted for the Digital Holster 50, because that allows me to carry the D200 with a vertical grip installed. The 70-200, for me, is much more pleasant to use with the grip on the body. Think Tank's products are great... really well thought out and manufactured. Their belts and harnesses are also ideal. I now have a small collection of their odds and ends that I rig up, depending on what I'm doing. Love it. I trust it enough to carry (as you see) the mounted 70-200 while on horseback. With an accessory pouch or two on the belt, I even changed lenses while in the saddle on cliff-side trails... the Think Tank zipper pulls, flaps, and other touch-feely stuff really lends themselves blind grabs.<div>00NuMd-40794684.jpg.6409583f60281ec5c030823500a193b3.jpg</div>

Just an aside. I love the 70-200 vr too but why not try the 55-200 vr for your back country lens. It is sharp, very light and not a disaster if it takes a hit. You are normally shooting, I would assume, in pretty good light. A couple of hundred bucks and a very good lens. Or, as you are shooting fleeting subjects why not the 70-300 AFS VR. The extra reach may come in handy and shooting the fast burners you are cranking up the speed anyway. Hogan likes it.

Lee: I know I do feel some apprehension tromping around the woods with the 70-200, but the problem is that it's the low-light woodsy dawn/dusk-ish stuff that makes it so great to have on hand. Plus, think of the extra calories you burn carrying it! Good advice, though, on those other two options, if the typical available light is a good fit. And of course, as people drift into using better low-noise bodies (D300/D3), that extra stop or so may start to make much less of a difference. But... oh, that bokeh. I'd miss it.

I love the ThinkTank belt system and their lens holders. You can rotate the belt around to get at any of the attached gear, and the belt comes off quickly and easily for when you enter a car or need to sit down, etc. The ThinkTank holders all have rain covers built in in case you get caught in the rain. Lowepro also makes belts and holders. Right now, I actually use a Lowepro belt with a ThinkTank LensChanger 50 (which is big enough to hold any of my 70-300VR, 17-55 f/2.8 WITH the huge hood, or Sigma 10-20 (which are my usual 3-lens travel kit). I also use a ThinkTank "All The Other Stuff" bag for, well, all the other stuff. The Lowepro belt works fine with ThinkTank components. I just ordered a Lowepro lens holder that is big enough for the 70-200 or 80-200 f/2.8, but it hasn't arrived yet.

I think either the Lowepro or ThinkTank systems are quite good.

• 4 months later...

I'm debating (in my head) over whether the TT40 or TT50 series would work for me.

Right now, I have a larger Nikon soft compartment case with velcro adjustable panels,

but its a bulky deal. I'm leaning towards the holster because I think either would work

with the D300 with the 18-200 VR mounted, and I can probably store the 1.8 50mm

lens somewhere in there. I'm strictly thinking about a walkaround. I wasn't sure about

quality and how well this brand held up, especially zippers.