Fixed portrait lens advice anyone?

vrphoto

Hi. I have about $300-350 at the most to spend on a (probably used) portrait

lens. I'm looking for a good fast lens in natural light with a great bokeh. I

was set on the 85mm 1.8 nikkor, but also have seen that this site recommends the

sigma 30mm 1.4.

Does anyone have any advice before I shell out the dough?

Thanks!<div>00NtGa-40761684.thumb.jpg.6a02e5ad58258b89765310412b22a3a0.jpg</div>

You must also consider where you will be shooting your portraits, how much distance can you put between the camera and subject. Realize that the 85mm (which I would love to try out) is probably useless in an average home setting - you will need a lot of distance between the camera and subject in order to fit everything in frame. If you are shooting in your home studio I'd suggest the 50mm. Nice little lens. `$100.

Surprised to see that no one has mentioned the 50mm f/1.4.

Even though you have the 50mm f/1.8, try the f/1.4. I shelled out the extra dough for it

because of it's creamy bokeh. It fits your budget and you can sell/trade your f/1.8.

I have the 85mm f/1.4 and while it is amazing, i still use my 50mm when i need a little

more pixel space to show my subject.

Here's a recent shot of my daughter. It was snowing out, so instead of using my 85 on my

D300, i slapped the 50 1.4 on my D200 and caught my favorite portrait of her yet...

Thanks for the comment, especially about the 50mm 1.4. It's something I'll have to think about--whether I'd be confined to using it outdoors or something. I already find myself shooting through doorways and windows to get more space when I'm on location. I do like to get up close though, as in the image included in the first post, so maybe it would be good for that style of pic? (meaning the 85mm...)

Valerie, 30mm is too wide for flattering portraits. 85mm is great - when you have some room

to work with. Say, at least 10 ft. for a head and upper torso shot. When I have less room, i

break out my 50mm.

I'm actually rediscovering how good my 50mm 1.4 is as i was pulling out the 85mm 1.4 every

chance i had.

I use the 50mm 1.8 on my DSLR and it is a great portrait lens. The image you uploaded is nice. I also use the 50mm 1.8 on my film cameras and still get great portraits with it. I also use a Tamron 28-75 2.8 great for active kids that won't stay in one place. The sigma 30mm 1.4 could be a good lens get in close shoot wide open and the background will disapear. You need to decide what you want, the 85mm will give you more working space the 30mm will mean you will have to get even closer. I like also the 105mm F2.5 manual focus but it wont meter on you d50.<div>00NtSb-40766684.jpg.449765b2fb27418b62e3f03c5e9ccf61.jpg</div>

Tell us again why you don't want a zoom? Is it that you don't feel F2.8 is fast enough? Or that good examples can't create good bokeh?

I am thinking of the 35-70 AF-D wich is sharp as can be and can take the place of your feet if zooming that way is too hard. It is only a 40% zoom but it can be had used in your price range no problem.

Hi everyone--thanks so much for your input. After thinking about everything said here and looking on flickr at some more images shot with the 85mm, I decided that what I really need (building upon what I can already do w/ the 50mm) is the telephoto magic and the option to blur backgrounds more completely when I'm on location. It's a bit long at 130mm like you said, but I think it'll be ok for individual and baby closer portraits indoors and then great outdoors.

I was able to get an 85mm 1.8 on ebay for $212 that's supposed to be in great condition. It was cheap because it was on a N6006 and not listed in the lens section.

Hopefully everything looks good when it arrives--I'll post some images when I get it.

Thanks again!