Rollei TLR repair

david_m._young

I have a friend who's got a Rollei TLR that's not working well right

now. I'm not sure what the symptoms are, but she's looking for a

reputable repair facility in the San Francisco Bay Area. Has anyone

on the list used International Camera Technicians in Mountain View or

have another place they'd like to recommend?

<p>

Thanks for any information...

<p>

D.

Hello David:

I don't have any experience in repairs in the San Francisco area, but

I had gotten a recommendation for Harry Fleenor dba Oceanside Camera

Repair in Manhattan Beach, Ca. 310-374-6506. I just had my 3.5F

repaired by him and everything seems to be working just fine and he

does give a 6 mo. warranty on his repairs.

Hope this helps.

Herb Sauer

• 11 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Isaac-

Do you have the contact information for Heinz Grashoff. I am sure it would be helpful to all here. We all could benefit from as many Rollei Repair/Services References that's available. BTW, for those of you in the NY/LI Area, Jimmy Koh at Koh's Camera is another good resource of Rollei servicing an repair. He also has a pristine collection of pre-owned Rolleis. Try his web site at http://www.kohscamera.com.

-Vincent

A few weeks ago I sent my Rolleiflex-T in to Foto- und Filmgerdte Service GmbH in Braunschweig, Germany, for a repair. The company, located in the old Voigtlaender factory building, made a very professional impression. My original (phone) estimate for my film transport problem was DM 250, so I sent the camera in and called them up a few days later to talk to the technician. He said if they fixed it at all, they'd do it properly. The company sent me a written estimate very promptly, with an itemized list. The amount was a little higher - DM 320 - but includes the following:

Repair of the original problem, including parts. Shutter CLA, adjusting focus on an optical bench, re-allignment of the film back (including squeezing out a small ding), repair of a loose tripod mounting plate, general service. The price certainly seemed reasonable enough, so I told them to go ahead.

I got the camera back about 14 days later.

The film back now clicks into position when you close it, like it was supposed to do but didn't. The focusing knob moves sweetly with absolutely no rubbing, shutter speeds and appertures lock together properly with a positive snap, one second really is one second again instead of one and a half, the shutter has a business-like snapping sound, the self timer runs smoothly again. The lenses sparkle and appear to have lost a lot of accumulated dust specks from between the elements. The mirror is spotlessly clean, and the viewfinder has never been as bright. The wind-on crank is a little stiffer than before, but I suppose that's probably how it was meant to be when it left the factory in 1965.

I'm delighted. A little bonus: I took the light meter off before sending the camera in - no need to risk damaging it in the mail since it was working. This, of course, left an ugly hole visible on the focusing knob. I got it back with a new film speed plate covering the hole, no charge! This tells me that somebody cares... highly recommended!

Mike