Need feedback on move into Medium Format

david_m._young

I need some validation on my choice of equipment of moving to Medium Format, and would appreciate any or all comments.

<p>

My requirements:

Larger negative than 35mm.

Ability to handle 70mm film.

(could also go to 4x5, but I don't want to make that leap yet)

<p>

My choices:

Pentax 645n

Hasselblad 503

Bronica ETRsi

Rollei 6003

<p>

Comments:

<p>

Rollei is out simply on price. I can't see paying over $5000 for just the back alone.

<p>

Pentax 645N: Has good qualifications, including the attractiveness of the integral motor drive, metering, and data imprinting... and I can get a 70mm back... but I don't really like the idea of not being able to change backs mid-roll. I might be able to overlook that one if there are enough other reasons to go this route.

<p>

Hasselblad. Has the name, the quality and doesn't have the drawbacks of the 645. Also doesn't have an integral motor drive or metering, and a meter prism won't work with the 70mm back. Also a bit on the pricey side and known for being a bit sensitive to field conditions.

<p>

Bronica: My leading choice right now. Has the advantages of the Hasselblad, without being so pricey, but I still don't have the integral metering (Meter prism doesn't mount well with the 70mm back). Has reasonable price and performance. Also will have to buy 70mm back used... they're out of production where they're current items for the Hassey and 645n.

<p>

Comments or opinions??

<p>

D.

I was recently in the same boat, and looked at some of the similar cameras you are. I quickly decided not to go the 6x4.5 rout just because I felt if I wanted a rectangular neg., a 6x7 would be better. I ended up getting a Hassy, and got a 501CM kit. I really like it a lot. I prefer the square format because it challenges me to look at things different then I do in 35mm. And, I can crop horizontal and veritcal anytime I want to. If having a rectangular neg is more your style, I would go with the Bronica GS1. Smallest 6x7 you can get, looks like a great camera for that format. I dont really care much for either the Pentax 645 of the ETRSi. The pentax seems a little unflexible in accesories. If you really want 6x4.5 I would look at the Mamiya 645 Pro TL. I personally think the RB and RZ 67 by Mamiya are a little to big and heavy for all but studio work.(yet for that they are great) In closing, I would go for the Hassy, but it fits my style. Try all you can, and go with what fits yours.

The fact that you appear to be focused on a 70 mm back tells me that your shooting needs are dictated by rapid fire shots ( almost like 35mm fashion shots) but you need the medium format for that extra picture quality. The pentax with its focal plane shutter and now autofocus on 645N seem to me the logical & economic choice for your need. Why worry about needing to change film in mid-roll? If that is really a concern buy a 2nd older pentax 645 body as back-up.

Don't get too hung up on mid roll change with 70mm. I haven't used it myself, but Ernst Wildi describes how to use the Hasselblad 70mm back in 'The Hasselblad Manual'. He describes how you can cut the film when you're half way through a reel - then start shooting again with another empty take-up can. That way you don't have to finish a whole reel before changing.

<p>

Do you really need 70mm? I think the Pentax gives 32 exposures with 220 film - and you could carry a few loaded inserts to allow quick changing. 220 will give 24 shots with Hasselblad and Bronica too.

<p>

The answer depends a lot on your circumstances and use of this camera. If you're making a living from it, you may want to consider two bodies. You may also want to steer clear of out of production kit (Bronica 70mm back). Are you planning to do outdoor fill flash? (leaf shutters would be good). At the end of the day you should try to hire before you buy, so you can see whether a particular setup works for you.

If money is no objective, go with Hassy. I had a 503CW and extremely

happy with it. The TTL is very very accurate. Hassy has very good

reputation and well known. Also, it is less depreciate comparing to

others.

Just like other stuffs, if money is not a problem, when talking about

good watch, you hear Rolex, Omega, not Casio or Timex. When you

talk about cars, you will hear about BMW, Mercedes...

But then it also depends on you preferences. Best of luck.

• 2 weeks later...

Perhaps by now you have made your choice. Sorry I just picked up on the question. I own a Pentax 645N system, a Hasselblad Superwide and a Hasselblad 503Cw system. I use the Pentax for taking pictures of subjects that move, ie., children or scenes where a tripod is not an option. It handles much like a 35mm with autofocus and winding. There are several things that I would like to see changed; mirror lock-up, flash syncronization and change film in mid-roll. None of these things bother me enough to get rid of it. Great system and highly recommended. I would like to see more auto focus lenses available. I have the 45 and 75mm. Also own the 120 macro which is not auto focus but provide an LED signal in viewfinder when in focus.

<p>

I'm sure you will make the right decision. Good luck!

Dear David,

<p>

Go for the 70mm backs by all means. I use 2 of them now that I have secured a line of film. You can load the cassettes with 24-36-50 shots just as easily as you can with the full 70 load and get through a standard 3-roll portrait shoot without stopping to fiddle.

<p>

And the sense of relief when you are not in danger of being caught unloaded at a wedding - or having to reload whilst scuttling backward up the church aisle one step in fron of a maddened bride.

<p>

As with anything, there is fashion and fad to contend with - I get the feeling that 70mm is not so common, and this means that some equipment-oriented photographers will be dumping their backs. I picked up my two on the 2nd hand market for a sixth of new cost.

<p>

What I am REALLY hoping for is general panic amongst the pros around here as digital comes in. Maybe they will dump their Hasselblad gear...into my lap.

<p>

Cheers....Dick Stein