Portable 8x10

stefan_geschke

Looking at the daily sampling of pictures on photo.net, I find myself getting more and more tired

of digitally manipulated "photographs".

Like many others, this draws me into the opposit direction: Contact printing of LF negatives.

Currently I am using a Sinar Norma 8x10 and I am thinking about getting into platinum printing.

Here is my question:

Is there any decent, light, fast 8x10 camera?

I understand that the Norma is relatively small and light as 8x10 monorails go.

But still too heavy and complicated to set up.

It would be enough if the camera accomodated essentially normal lenses. I am interested in

Michael-Kenna-like composition and maybe closeups.

Huge movements are not so important (front rise, swing and tilt should do the job).

What is important is light weight and fast operability.

I am looking for an 8x10 equivalent of an Ebony SW45 or 45S.

The 8x10 Ebonys are way overpriced, I think.

Any thoughts?

I just weighed my 8x10 field outfit. It comes to 23kg which includes the tripod, holders, lenses, everything. The camera, a Tachihara 810GF, contributes only 4.7kg to the total.

Minimising the mass of the camera is a good idea but even if it weighed nothing you are going to be carrying a lot of kilograms. A better backpack, lighter lenses, carbon-fibre tripod, magnesium tripod head, all can contribute significantly to reducing the fatigue factor.

As in most of the time it's not my camera it's the things I'm carrie with me is the problem.

But, you would be supprised if you lift up one of the old Rochesters or Senecas and you can get them for almost nothing. Now the Wista is not a bad idea either. My Tachi is a tripple bad type with very long bellows extention but it's much hevier than my Liberty which is a Seneca type wooden camera.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I agree with the comments saying that minimizing

camera weight gets rid only of a small fraction of the total weight.

However, if the camera was relatively light (and I don't insist on long extensions),

I might be able to get away with a lighter tripod. On the lens side, I use a 240mm G-

Claron and a 450mm Fuji, both in Copal 1 shutters, both 52mm filter thread.

It doesn't get much lighter than that. The 450mm lens requires a relatively long

extension, and I might be ready to leave that at home.

(If I wanted to bring both lenses, the Wehman sounds like a good deal.)

What I find sort of annoying is the setup time. My dream is to set up the tripod, slap

the camera on the quick release and start focusing.

That is why I am drawn toward the Ebony non-folders.

I might add that I am also considering going to 5x7 if my dream 8x10 does not exist

or turns out too expensive.