using MB-D10 battery grip for 8fps

joe_degennaro

Hi, awaiting a d300 and battery pack mb-10..unfortunately per instructions

from the B&H guy i ordered an extra en-el3 e to get 8fps..i found out i really

need the en-el4a to get the 8fps which i think means , i also need a new

expensive battery charger for that battery..is my other option to buy (nikon

is good at getting us to do that) the extra double AA holder a better option

and use rechargables, which i assume would also still require another battery

charger...thank you for your answers...joe d.

Like Lil says, the MB-D10 comes standard with two different battery holders: (1) The MS-D10 holds 8 AA's and (2) The MS-D10EN holds 1 EN-EL3e (but not EN-EL3 or EN-EL3a). You can get 8 frames/sec with 8 AA's. Make sure you set Custom Setting d11 to use the batteries inside the MB-D10 first.

Thank you but my confusion now is even though i bought an extra en el 3e, putting it into the mb 10 will not give me the 8fps, i would have to either use an el 4a (which means a new charger) or use 8AA's. i thought the holder for the double AA's had to be purchased separately. it sounds as if users are happier using the double AA's than the en el4a..thank you all for your patience with my confusion..i may just return the en el3e, i already have 2 i use with my d200..Joe D.

Right, if you solely use EN-EL3e batteries to power the D300, regardless of where you put them, you will only get 6 frames/sec.

Incidentally, you only need to put batteries inside either the D300 body or in the MB-D10 to get the camera to work. In other words, you can attach an empty MB-D10. In that case it'll only serve as a grip with the vertical shutter release, command dials, AF-ON button and multi-selection pad.

If you put batteries in both places, you can select which one to use first: d11 as I mentioned earlier.

Thanks Shun and Lil Judd and Ryan, I emptied out the piggy bank for the camera and battery pack so i will go with the AA's and an affordable (funny word isn't it for NIKON people) battery charger. the other way will cost another 200 plus dollars...now i have to get B&H to take back the en el 3e..they seem to be pretty good about things and Ihave spent enough there..i can get the 8fps only when i need it for bird photography...

One more tip on the D300. As I mentioned before, if you press on the "info" button, which is the same as the key/lock button on the back, the D300 will show the same information from the top LCD on its back LCD. Additionally, the back LCD should indicate the frame rate at the bottom left, to the right of the "OK" button. E.g. the attached image below shows 6 fps.

If you attach the MB-D10 with 8AA's, that would show 8 fps. This is a simple way to verify whether things are working or not.<div>00Nu7D-40784884.jpg.cba69f69b4019af7071fe512448dff34.jpg</div>

• 7 months later...