Capture One 4

HarryBaker

Does anyone know how to upgrade to Capture One 4 from Capture One LE? I have

Capture One LE which came with my M8. Do I just download version 4 and activate

with my existing code and is this not just for a trial period? More importantly,

do I have to buy the upgrade and claim cashback. The Phaseone site is not clear

to me

I just downloaded it and used the existing serial number I had for Capture One LE....that

worked. Better than the program anyway...it crashes every time I try to process a DNG from

my GX-100 (on OS 10.5). I have not tried M8 files yet...hopefully they will fare better. I would

advise you not to delete LE until you can be sure it works reliably on your system.

Stuart, if you have any up-to-date Adobe product (Elements 4.0 for Mac or CS2/CS3 or Lightroom etc.) then you will find any version of Adobe Camaera RAW from 2.4 onwards will support native DNG files from your Ricoh AND your M8. My GR Digital DNGs were handled fine with ACR on Elements 4 for Mac.

http://www.adobe.com/products/photoshop/cameraraw.html

(look towards the bottom of that linked page.)

Just a thought if you cannot get Capture to work.

Thanks Trevor...that's what I have been doing. It's unfortunate that Capture One 4 is not

working though, it looks like it is a good program. That said, ACR seems to have gotten

much better in its recent incarnations, and it's nice and easy since it is already integrated into

photoshop...no exporting to a tiff and then reopening it in photoshop for further editing.

This has got to be one of the buggiest and poorly executed pieces of software I have used in a while. Crashes are common, and the user interface is inscrutable beyond belief. When it works, the raw converstions are usually as good as those from Lightroom, ACR and Raw Developer. It is figuring out how to get there that is a problem.

The absolute worst thing about this software is that the moment you point your working directory to a folder with a bunch of raw images, it automatically creates a bunch of sub-folders filled with all of the thumbnails and other processing information it needs. For a folder containing 2GB of card info, this program will add a couple hundred of megabytes of disk effluvia without asking you if it is OK.

The whole things strikes me as presumptuous for some reason. I hate everything about it except that it sometimes can create a reasonable conversion on a problem raw file. When I need to use it, I just copy a single file to its own directory so I can minimize its profligate waste of disk space.

Is there an internet emoticon symbolizing a person pinching their nostrils closed?

Did this on a PC, Just downloaded the update and used the original serial number. I've had no problems using it for the little I have done with it. I have the new ACR in Lightroom and CS3 and use that for my M8 files. The new "Real World" book on ACR it a very good resource in how to get the best from that program. After reading it and learning the controls in Lightroom and in ACR/CS3 I do not feel the need to learn/use another raw convertor except that I did want an option for the rare odd file that might work "better" in another program (although I think most of the time the "better" had to do with my lack of using ACR as well as I could have.

<p>Capture One 4 is very good at processing Leica M8 raw images, but tends to

oversharpen and artefacts may appear, so be carefull. It is anyway possible to lower

sharpening parameters in C1. Lightroom is now well known as a premium photo asset

management application and is actually my favorite, exept that there is some problems

that luckily can be corrected.</p>

<p>If you are interested in Capture one 4 versus Lightroom 1.3.1 comparison you will

find more informations on my web site <a href="http://www.farines-photo.com/blog/?

p=26">here</a></p>