30D ERR CF, causes and fixes?

brian_faini

I have been shooting digital EOS for 4 years now. Never had an issue like this

before. I have searched extensively for an answer.

Recently when shooting cold weather (40*F-25*F) that is about as cold as it gets

around me. I can shoot for a few minutes maybe 50 frames and then I let the

camera go to auto off after a minute.

Few min later I pick it up press the shutter to wake it back up and then I get

ERR CF, press the preview button and it says "No Image".

I put in another card, same problem, and so on. Every card I put in gets an error.

These are all SanDisk Extreme III cards that have been in my pocket to keep

warm. It is not a issue with the cards. It has done it to Lexar, and all levels

of SanDisk.

I pop the cards in my Lexar Pro CF reader and the drive is no longer F:/EOS_DIGITAL

it is F:/ENS@DI^NTAL

The images are still on the card and not corrupted.

I have to pull the images off then format with my OS and rename the file system

as EOS_DIGITAL in order for my camera to not freak out and give ERR CF.

So I have to have a computer nearby to repair the problem everytime.

I have reset the file numbering also so, that cant be the issue.

I have downgraded, upgraded and reinstalled the firmware. But it keeps happening.

Anyone else have similar issues. This is killing me. I am a photojournalist at a

newspaper and am dependent on my equipment to work all the time.

CPS still updating my membership so I have to wait for that to come through

before I send it in...

Does this happen only in the cold, or can you duplicate it indoors? Have you tried resetting the auto shut-off so that it stays on permanently to see what happens? (On my 350D this involves turning the auto shut-off OFF.)

I'm wondering if the camera body has some sort of static electricity build-up in cold weather that might be involved, but I'm not sure if that's possible or relevant. The question would be how it gets the static electricity, say from where or how its stored, but I guess its too soon to speculate about that.

In regards to formatting....

I know all about formatting properly, the issue is I cant format in the camera when this issue comes up. They only way that I can get the camera to function properly is to format the card on the computer, insert it in the camera and format again. Then it is fine. I always format a card when it is put back in the body.

I would prefer not to disable the auto-off because of battery usage. I need to be able to shoot all day and sometimes when I run out quickly for a story the extra batteries are at the office.

The file system I am familiar with for my years of Canon digital usage is

"drive letter"/EOS_DIGITAL/DCIM/"folder number"

When the problem arises it is no longer EOS_DIGITAL but ENS@DI^NTAL

This morning it happens indoors, but I had just come in from the cold. I had shot some then then about 10min later I was back inside. I "wake up" the body by pressing the shutter to show some images on the rear screen and I get "ERR CF"

The other times is has happen while I was still out in the cold.

The only other thing that I can think of is ensure that the camera is running the latest firmware - other than that, I can't see how it can be anything other than a camera fault.

You could try the old "remove both batteries and leave overnight trick" (no harm), but I'd say it's a long shot.

>>> I have been shooting digital EOS for 4 years now. Never had an issue like this before. <<<

I understand the issue; I understand how you are presently working around it; I understand it is possible to do and the correct procedure for formatting a card, via computer, i.e. not in camera.

I just want to confirm:

1. Do you have other bodies, than the 30D, (obviously you have had prior), but do you have one now?

2. If yes to 1: can you take the card from the 30D (after the fault arises) and place it in the other body?

3. If yes to 2: then what is the result?

3a) Can the other camera read the images?

3b) can the other camera format the card?

4. Have you taken another body out with the 30D at the same time and in the same conditions and does this happen to the other body?

I am assuming:

1. Yes

2. Yes

3a: No

3b: No

4: No

I think these results are so, and combined with the preceding analysis, clearly indicate a camera fault.

However, I am also a fan of removing the two batteries overnight as Colin mentioned, it might just to avoid 2 weeks without the camera: Note that `two batteries` means:

a) The camera battery and

b) The little coin sized battery which runs the clock etc.

Please advise of the outcome, I for one am interested.

WW

Hey, I just thought of this random something majigger, is one of the pins in your card reader not quite straight? (In either camera or computer) Sometimes it happens, usually it results in a unusable device, but it might not. Depending. Just use a flashlight and visually inspect them I guess. If they are bent tweezers are usually okay to fix it.

William

I have another 30D body it can format the faulted card but it wont recognize the images

I have not taken the other body out at the same time...

No the pins are not bent either, that was one of the first things I checked.

Yeah, I haven't removed the CR(###) battery (coin battery), I might do that reinstall the firmware and re-format all my cards.

After Canon re-approves my CPS I will just have them loan me a Mark III and a 16-35 to play with then send in the funny acting body.

I wrote the first post after it happened this morning...

I first put the card into my reader and into a mac G5, the mac wouldn't open the DCIM file folder

So I go back to my PC and it locks up once I put it in. So I take it back to the body it was shot on and it wont recognize the files but it will format it.

I am trying to be methodical and troubleshoot to pinpoint the source every time it happens but it changes slightly every time.