Bag help? Nova5 and J1 not too deep.

trunfio

I have LowePro Nova 5 AW and Domke J1 bags, and I generally like them. The only problem is that the my

DSLR (Nikon D300) with 70-200/2.8 or 300/4 attached doesn't fit in too easily.

In my J1 bag, which I use as my walk around, I put the camera with lens facing down to make more room

for my other camera/lens and a couple of spares or flash. I find I wish the bag were a little deeper (maybe

3-4 inches) because the lens/camera is top heavy and sometimes moves around to the point of almost

falling out, unless I lock the straps on the front.

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Correct me if I am wrong but I don't think either the Nova or the J1 are designed to have a camera and lens stored inside pointed down.

The Lowepro Steath Reporters D200, D300, D400 and up are.

I believe the Sling bags (Tamrac Velocity and Lowepro Slingshots) are also. Take a look at those.

The best advice for a bag is to take your gear to a store and try it. It is hard to describe and what works for some might not work for you... and vice versa. If you can't do that... check out: http://www.cambags.com/

The never ending search for the perfect camera bag is something that has plagued me since day 1.

I don't know the Nova bags, but the Domke J1 is designed for holding lenses vertically. There is also a large compartment that can hold a camera in different positions. To hold my camera attached to a vertically held lens, I add some foam padding, as illustrated in the attached image. I'm not sure it will work with your lenses. The longest lens I carry this way is the 70-300 VR.<div>00NrQQ-40720384.JPG.5517b9b4c92cf6437fb9fed778f9a2d4.JPG</div>

Thanks guys. I really want a shoulder bag that I can store the camera with lenses attached. I

usually have just two cameras with a wide zoom and tele zoom. And then a couple primes

and a flash. If I stored horizontally and reconfigured the bag, I don't think I'd be able to fit

all I want to fit. Maybe Aaron is right: it's a never-ending search!

To make it as clear as possible, you could put one camera with the wide zoom attached in the compartment on the far right which currently holds a lens with the hood reversed (on the image I posted above) and another in the compartment with foam, if you use a thick, stiff foam which will stand up higher than the compartment it is in. At some point, of course, with a sufficiently long lens, the bag won't close.

The stealth reporter 400 would probably do. It's the first bag in that series that makes a jump in depth, about 2 inches deeper than the 300, going from memory. Check out the dimensions on their site.

I have the 400 and it will (just) accomodate a mounted Canon 70-200 f2.8 IS with body attached (obviously only with hood reversed). There's a *slight* bump in the lid when stowed that way. I usually carry it separately, and then there's plenty of depth.