70-210 1:4-5.6 D

mark45831

I havent used this lense in a while but I was supprised to see just how nice

of photo's I get with this on the D300, If it wasnt for the 70-200 2.8 being

faster plus the VR I would have to think twice about purchasing it when I think

I payed around $300 for this compared to the $1700 thats still on backorder!

Some day I will get it. J&R knocked another $25 off the price if I didnt

cancell my order. I wounder what the mark up on it is.

This (not the D in my case) was quite the surprise lens. I bought it together with the 24-50mm in about 1988/89. The 70-210 was never used that much in all that time, the results were never scintillating or other than ho-hum. Until I purchased a D50, and realised how superb a lens this now is on digital bodies. It's absolutely superb.

I think that this is going to be a new trend. I have many AF Nikkors that I bought and basically put away during my film days. I came to the conclusion that I really got on well with my AI / AIS manual focus Nikkors and my F3 / FE2 bodies.

Now that I have a digital Nikon SLR, I have dusted off many of these older lenses, and began to reuse them. The digital capture cuts off the edges of the image, and often the weakness of the lens was outside of the central part of the image, so the lens that was not so good with slide film is now pretty good with the DSLR.

Besides the 70-210 that Mike brought up in this thread, I also have been enjoying my 28-70 f/3.5-4.5 Nikkor, which is now a 42-105mm zoom in a very compact package with good macro at every focal length. And I never thought that this lens would be brought back into play, but I have been taking photos with my 24-120 Nikkor, a lens that I gave up on in the film days. The soft edges are now gone at 120mm, falling outside of the capture area, and giving me a nice 180mm lens.

I am glad that I didn't get rid of these lenses, even though they sat unused for up to a decade.

yes I Purchased mine Non D Version back in 1992, new from Ritz Camera, Its a very well built lens, and I use it a lot on my D80, as with DSLR, 210mm actually becomes 315mm, However I do miss the VR here, with steady hands or with a Tripod this lens is awesome