DR-5 and DK-22...fit?

joel_blacher

Oivind, thanks. I'm glad so many people find that old post of mine useful. Unfortunately, it won't help Joel. If you make my modification to the DK-22 (aka #2370) it will become too fragile to hold a heavy DR-5.

Joel, there really isn't a good answer to your question. I don't find the DR-6 to be a viable solution. If at some point you get a higher end DSLR (D3, D2X, D2H, D1X, D1H) there's no way to mount the DR-6. No adapter, at all. It is possible to adapt a DR-5. Like my old DR-3 or the later DR-4, DR-5 has an old style 19mm threaded end, and a step up ring to adapt it to cameras with modern 22mm eyepieces. You simply remove that ring to use it with the DK-22 adapter, without having to grind away any plastic from the DK-22. But even then, the DK-22 is a bit "iffy". I had one split off one of the rails that holds it to the camera eyepiece. No damage to the camera or the DR-3, I caught it when taking the adapter off, but it could just as easily have failed when on the camera, and bye-bye DR-3.

So, there's DR-6 with no upgrade path, and DR-5 with a scary adapter. Sorry I don't have a better plan.