jpeg sizes

glogower

I think it's important to retain the original aspect ratio (height to width). If I crop an image, I do it using ACDSee Pro 2, the photo management software I use (www.acdsystems.com). It has a checkbox to retain aspect ratio, or you can uncheck it and it lets you crop any which way. It also has cropping presets for all the standard print sizes, which makes things nice. These features are something Photoshop is lacking in, but then Photoshop focuses on doing other things well.

If you do a special size crop of an image, you should always do it as a copy, and don't mess up the original.

Andy,

I think what you're asking is, what settings to export to jpeg with. I usally turn them over at 300dpi sized for printing up to 10 x 10 or 12 x 12 (to cover any aspect ratio - portrait or landscape). I usually explain this to the clients as well. Most quality labs require the 300dpi for printing.

Steve C,

I think Photoshop does have presets for most of the standard print sizes like 6x4, 8x10 etc. If you don't want it to resize, just clear the resolution box. If you're shooting RAW, ACR has all the typical ratios. I use 2:3 most of the time to retain the ratio.

Shooting RAW and using ACR has been the simplest for me. When i need JPEGs, the Image Processor allows me to produce any file type i want and at any resolution i want.

I give my clients the full sized JPEG's without downsizing. My clients expect (and pay for) for full image versions. Many times it requires burning two DVD's to accomplish because many people do not have dual-layer drives.

I know that many photographers limit the size of client JPEGS in order to drive additional print sales, but most clients see this as an annoying way to nickel-and-dime them for more money. I set my front-end prices appropriately so that I do not have to rely on back-end print sales, which in my experience, are an unpredictable source of income.