Looking for a 35mm lens...

I get the impression from other photographers images, that I might be better getting rid of my screw mount Leica and getting a Contax G2 with a 35mm f2 lens. The Ultron VC1.7's review on first link above seems to be rather lukewarm.

I think the only conclusion I'm capable of drawing....is that I am incapable of making any.

<< ... <i>The Ultron VC1.7's review on first link above seems to be rather lukewarm. ... </i> >> <p>

I seldom quibble about gear. Just not my thing. My own photos and my feelings about others' photos are rarely dependent upon the gear. Even more seldom do I quibble about <i>other people's opinions</i> about gear.<p>

Until just now, I'd never read either review of the VC 35/1.7. But the photozone review, the one you characterize as "lukewarm," says:<p>

" ... Ultron provides excellent performance at full aperture. As a consequence, this is prime candidate for available light photography. Even at f/1.7-2.0 lens produces high contrast sharp images. When stopped down to f/4.0-5.6, Ultron is capable of results that can be easily rated as 'outstanding'. ... "<p>

And the reviewer concludes: <p>

" ... so I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the Ultron to anyone who is looking for optical quality and emotional satisfaction. ... " <p>

If that is a "lukewarm" review, I shudder to think what a positive review might look like. :-)<p>

Incidentally, I have and sometimes use a Contax G2, but with the 45/2 lens. It's an extremely responsive camera, capable of excellent photos. And some of the lenses are very highly regarded. (The 35/2 seemingly less so than the 45mm, but I'm not sure why and I've never used the 35, so I can't comment on it.) <p>

I think of the G2 as an autofocus camera, quite different in operation and in feel from the manual focus rangefinder you're evidently accustomed to using. Not better, not worse -- just different.

If that is a "lukewarm" review, I shudder to think what a positive review might look like. :-)

Lol...sorry. I meant the second review:

http://www.imx.nl/photo/voigtlander/voigtlander_cosina_lenses_f.html

The first review just sounds excited that the lens comes in silver.

I'm happy with my Leica and Summicron 50mm screw mount however as soon as I started thinking I might like a second lens (after all this time) I realise that I could have a cheaper 35mm camera with interchangeable lenses, or even two fixed focus cameras of different focal lengths. Or even sell the IIIf+50mm Summicron and get an M mount camera with a 35mm ZM Biogon. Only prob. is I really like it.

As much as the 35mm f2.8 Summaron sounds like a great lens, it's going to be too expensive. I gather it came in a limited run of around 5000 units, upping the price.

George - I know the G2 is an expensive point and shoot! Lol - it might improve my hit rate.

Am I being silly looking for a modern screwmount lens if it's that expensive? Should I just go out and get an autofocus Konica camera with a fixed 35mm lens and treat keep the single 50mm Summicron on the screwmount all the time?

Miffy, I've had most of the 35's -- they pretty much get better as the cost goes up. In my book, however, you can't beat the 35mm 1:3.5 Summaron in screwmount (older version with A-36 mount)in clean condition for app. $275.00. Don't sweat a little haze -- you can clean it or not. My Leitz adaptor lets me use it among my Leicas II, IIIF RD & M4. I don't use filters or a shade, although i may pick up a FOOKH at some point.

Thank you Paul - you're such an angel :)

I wonder if it's a problem finding such small filters. My Summicrons are all 39mm and if it's a problem finding filters, I wonder if an adapter exists to step up to 39mm.

No one has mentioned the 35mm Elmar lens - I presume it is considered less desirable than the later Summaron version....does this hold for the 50mm Elmar compared to 50mm Summicrons too?

>I wonder if it's a problem finding such small filters. My Summicrons are all 39mm and if it's a problem finding filters, I wonder if an adapter exists to step up to 39mm.<

Tiffen makes a Series V slip-on adapter and Series V accessories are readily available either on the auction site or from dealers stores who list there.

I use a 35mm 3.5 Summaron on a Fed 1G and an M-3 and am very happy with it.