research for a novel - LF camera recommendation

noreen

I'm not exactly looking for an excuse to get into large-format photography, but I do have one: research

for a novel that involves something akin to late 19th century photographic technology, including stereo

photography. (This is an alternate-world fantasy, so adhering to the historical particulars a specific

year is unnecessary.) I have two period books on the subject, Alexander Black's _Photography In-doors

and Out_ (1894) and Roche & Anthony's _How to Make Photographs_ (1883), in addition to a very

modest assortment of books on photographic history.

Developing glass plates is beyond my reach at the moment (I'll see if I someone in the local camera club

or university photography department can help), but I want 1) at least the other half of the experience

for the book and, of course, 2) to expand my own photographic repertoire. (My current equipment

consists of a Nikon F100 and a Yashica A TLR.)

What 4x5 camera would you recommend for these purposes? I'm willing to accept limitations to goal #2

in order to achieve goal #1, at least for the time being. My budget is extremely limited (did I mention

I'm a writer? <g>), and I'd like to get by with a kit costing under $350.

Look for a Speed Graphic. Get some Ilford B&W film and develop it yourself. With a little prficiency you ought to get some good results. I suggest field cam because that is what the early photogs used.

However, you could easily hit your goals and budget if you were amenable to a monorail camera. My first 4x5 was an old Calumet rail 4x5 cost me $125. A standard lens for $250 is most doable. good luck - Paul

If you want something more "vintage", consider one of the Rochester Optical "Pony Premo" cameras. It will take modern cut film holders, although you probably need to shim the ground glass a bit for accurate focus. You can use it as a view camera, or as a scale-focus point and shoot.

Around $100 to $175 on eBay.

If it comes with plate holders, that's nice, but you will need film sheaths (hard to find) to use them. (Or stick 4x5 film to a 4x5 piece of glass with some jam. Really.)

The shutter may need some maintenance, but they are incredibly simple shutters.

In my own personal alternative-world fantasy, we have free ice cream and I have a full head

of hair again. I notiiced that your alternative-world fantasy is a lot like my alternative-world

fantasy in at least one respect; adhering to the historical particulars of any one specific year

is unnecessary. Having said that, it would make perfect sense for you to head over to ebay

and pick up a Cambo SC 4x5 on the cheap. They are selling for less than what a penis

enlargement costs in my alternative-world fantasy (under $200 - often way under $200).

And it's not all that uncommon when they come complete with a lens for under $300. If

historical accuracy is a non-issue, then you'll score on both your goals. My Cambo came with

a rocket ship. Seriously though, they are impressive cameras. Good luck.

Try http://www.collodion.com for some good information on wet plate collodion photography. Get the book Quinn has published and you will have an excellent guide for your writing if you need it.

Almost any view camera will do. Least expensive is probably a calumet 4x5 monorail on the used market. Older wooden view cameras and field cameras are out there also. The Graphic view or speed graphics are nice as mentioned in other posts.

Check out Steve Simmons View Camera magazine and his website for more information. Also check out http://www.largeformatphotography.info/ for a lot more information on a Large Format specific photo site that is heavily used.

Best of luck in both the writing and photography.

Keith C. -- heh. In my ideal alternate-world, I'd be writing this already under contract,

with a nice advance and solid marketing plan from a major publisher. :) (A short story set

in this same milieu will be reprinted in an upcoming year's best anthology; no

photography involved in that tale, however!)

Keith L. -- at the moment I'm looking for something close to period-correct photographic

methods (c. 1880-1900), at least as regards the handling of the camera (set up,

composition, focus, etc.), using film, since a glass plate is probably not the best medium

through which to teach oneself the developing process these days... I'll get that

information, and experience, through other means.

My searches for the past couple of days make it seem unlikely that a working camera

closer to period function (Agfa/Ansco etc.) will fall within my budget, though I'm going to

keep an eye out at the local antique shops, eBay, etc. And I'll refer to the publications and

web sites that Dan suggested.

It's not as though the novel is being written entirely from within my personal experience

(for example, I've never loaded a battery mule!), but I'd hoped--and still hope--to make

an exception of the camera work.

Thanks again, gentlemen. If I do get lucky and obtain a camera, no doubt more questions

will follow.

Don't be too averse to buying a more modern camera. The technology of the view camera has not changed very much over the years. Modern cameras are certainly better built, but the actual principles of operation have remained remarkably static over the years.

The period books that you have purchased will probably help you to discern the minor differences between modern equipment and the gear of the the day. Those books, and some judicious use of google, will likely fill in all the blanks you have.

I appreciate your attention to detail. I think it's a terrific attribute for an author to have.

• 1 month later...

Follow-up thanks to all of you for your replies! I haven't yet found the antique camera I

was, and still am, looking for, but I did luck into an extremely affordable Calumet 4x5

which I suspect will, for now, do me just fine.

Jim: thank you! Research is a good portion of my enjoyment in writing. Synthesizing

experience or other knowledge into fiction is a thrill, and when you get it right, it's quite a

bit like discovering that you have captured that "decisive moment."