NIKKOR-S Auto 1:2 f=5cm and Nikon F801

maiku

Hi,

I found a cheap NIKKOR-S Auto 1:2 f=5cm lens. The serial number indicates it was

made circa 1962. I want to use it on my F801. I have read some websites

comparability charts. They say that Pre-AI-lens are not compatible with the

F801. Then, I read Wikipedia and the author says it is. Does anyone really know?

I put the lens on the camera and it mounted, no damaged result to the camera.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Mike

Pre-AI lenses are not compatible because the little AI tab on the F801/N8008 is fixed, and it can't be flipped out of the way like on the FE/FM/F3 among others. The tab is at 1- or 2-o'clock as you look at the front of the camera. Some pre-AI lenses have less of a flange than others do, so you probably got lucky regarding the tab on the body. But unless the 5cm f/2 has been updated (or "AI'd"), it will not meter even if you can force it onto the F801.

<i>"Then, I read Wikipedia and the author says it is."</i><P>

The trouble with Wikipedia is that any doofus can add information to an article and claim it as fact, and until someone else corrects the erroneous information, the uniformed reader assumes that it is indeed factually correct.<P>

Non-AI lenses are NOT compatible with the F801 unless they have been AI converted. As Joe noted "you probably got lucky". But unless you know <b>exactly</b> what to look for with regards to potential damage, it would be unwise to push that luck by continuing to mount that lens until you have a) verified whether or not the lens has been AI converted and b) if the lens is still factory original, had it converted to AI specification.

• 5 years later...

<p>It depends on what you want, the 5cm S F2 is an excellent performer with an interesting look that the newer lenses do not have, these are at full aperture regardless of exif</p>

<p><a title="nikon nikkor 5cm 2.0 S D3 overcast window beauty 2 by Rafael CA, on Flickr" href=" nikon nikkor 5cm 2.0 S D3 overcast window beauty 2 src="http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2882/10919200384_1124089636_c.jpg" alt="nikon nikkor 5cm 2.0 S D3 overcast window beauty 2" width="533" height="800" /></a> <a title="nikon nikkor 5cm 2 S D800 yellow bushes. jpg by Rafael CA, on Flickr" href=" src="http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8404/8606733421_03d5304b91_c.jpg" alt="nikon nikkor 5cm 2 S D800 yellow bushes. jpg" width="800" height="534" /></a> <a title="nikon nikkor 5cm f 2 S D3 Taken with D200 by Rafael CA, on Flickr" href=" nikon nikkor 5cm  f 2 S  D3 Taken with D200 src="http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8094/8481811259_e71bb0f7fc_c.jpg" alt="nikon nikkor 5cm f 2 S D3 Taken with D200" width="800" height="535" /></a></p>