80-200 2.8 AF ED

dirk_ouellette

Can someone tell me about these lenses?

I just got my D200 and would like to have a long range lens for shots of surfers

as well as a good macro. I bought a Nikkor AF 28mm 1:2.8 D with the box and a

Hoya HMC Super 52mm UV[0].

The following lenses are in my area.

Nikon Nikkor AF 28-105mm f3.5-4.5 D Macro Lens Japan Includes a Tiffen Haze-1

Filter too- $150

80-200 2.8 AF ED $200

Sigma 15-30 for nikon mount - $200

Thanks all.

If you are going to shoot surfers on a budget, I would recommend getting a 2X converter for your 80 to 200 which makes it a 160-400 f5.6. Spend the money on the Nikon 2X Teleconverter for that specific lens. It is worth it. Don't buy any Mirror Optics as they are all too slow if they are affordable and will perform horribly in a glare ridden environment like the beach and surf. I have some really good luck shooting surfers with the new Nikon 300mm 4-5.6 VR lens which handled great for Sunset Beach (Pipeline) in Hawaii. If you got a few more bucks to dish out and can afford a really strong stable tripod and massively large ball head, The Sigma 50 to 500 is surprisingly sharp and useful on a bright sunny surfing day and I have seen them used on craigslist, KEH and eBay. I have rented the Nikon 200-400 f4 VR from Calumet and it is Big and SWEEEEET! I actually got away with using a Monopod with it! Worth renting! It retails around $5K. Someone needs to buy me one as a gift.

200mm is still going to be a bit short surfers but if it in decent shape it's good price (I'm assuming it's the push pull). Somebody with more surfing experiance will probably drop in to give better advice but I'm am thinking you may need up to 400-500mm depending on the location. In my area I would estimate I would need 500+, they are usualy 200 yards off shore.

For a macro I would recommend a prime lens like the older 105mm that can be had a few bucks more. The primes have better quality for macro and zooms usually don't go to a full 1:1 reproduction ratio.

Gotta agree. At $200, that lens is pretty much the equivalent, optically, of the current crop of 70-200/2.8s. I only tried to shoot surfing once, but I'd tend to agree that it's a little short without some kind of extension. Still, great lens, even in the one-touch version.

<P>Dirk<br>I would consider the Nikkor 'AF-S DX 18-70 f3.5-4.5 G-ED' Before the the Nikkor 'AF-D 28-105mm f3.5-4.5 Lens. It will give you a better, more usable range as a walkabout lens on your D200.<br>The 28-105mm is a fine and very usable lens on film, but I find there is a lot of purple fringing with this lens when using it on a digital D70 or D80.<P>If you can get the Nikkor 80-200mm for that price and it is genuine, then bite the guy's hand off, but before that I would want to see and hold the actual lens and try it out on your D200 before parting with any money (beware if buying from the internet, as there are a lot of fraudsters out there). I would agree with Matt that even at 200mm (300mm equivalent on your D200) you might find it a little short for surfing shots from a beach.<P>Regards Paul

Dirk

the best deal by far is the 80-200 even in it's earliest form a great lens, as it has been said beware of scammers, but you will be dissapointed with this lens for surfing it is way too short I have used a 300mm but you really need at least a 400mm.

Steve