Neutral Density for Cokin P Series

chantry_cargill

Is there a filter company that sells neutral density filters that fits the

cokin p series?

I was thinking of getting the Singh-Ray Vari-ND, but it doesn't fit, and I'm

not quite sure what I would need to get it to work on my lenses. Plus, all my

other filters are meant for the cokin p series holder.

Why doesn't the Singh-Ray fit... it should right?

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=search&A=search&Q=&ci=0&sb=bs%2Cupper%28ds%29&sq=asc&ac=&bsi=&shs=singh+ray-ray&ci=4032&basicSubmit=Submit+Query

According to B&H, you could also get Lee, Hitech or Tiffen (not sure about availablity though):

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=search&A=search&Q=&ci=0&sb=bs%2Cupper%28ds%29&sq=asc&ac=&bsi=&ci=4032&basicSubmit=Submit+Query

Otherwise.... I'd say a little gaffer tape could get any filter to stick to your cokin holder :)

Why can't you use the Singh Ray? Surly you wouldn't be using any other filter with one of those fitted, so it doesn't matter whether it fits the Cokin hilder or not? You may have to get a step-up ring if their sizes didn't coincide with your lens thread, but you should be able to make it work.

Except of course that its simply outrageously expensive and you could get two or three different strengths of a perfectly acceptable brand for far less. Whatever brand you choose , test it for neutrality before you use it on anything important in colour. Pink or green waterfalls or clouds are not very desirable.

David, these are not screw-ins but Cokin-type filters that are rectangular sheets, so you can use more than one - typically you can put up to three filters on a single mount. I've read about people filing off some of the edge on the expensive sheets so they will fit on the cheaper Cokin holders. I think that Lee, etc were all supposed to fit Cokin mounts, but apparently they don't exactly.

Color balance is so easily corrected in even the most primitive picture-processor that it's not something to spend much time worrying about.

To my mind, the Lee, Singh-ray, etc are far more than _I_ would pay for such a little piece of resin. Fotodiox has cheap knockoffs and I can't see that they are optically less fine than any of the others.

But, as I've said before, I don't take every picture with one of these things on the camera the way some people do.

Sorry, David, I just looked at the site and you were right. Although the OP then asks if it fits the P mount, so I really am confused.

The OP SHOULD consider the P mount system which normally uses rectangular resin or even glass sheets of the sort I mentioned.

While the VariND filter doesn't fit Cokin P, Singh-Ray makes other filters that do.

With lots of photographers applying their filtration in postproduction these days, one can find great deals on barely-used second-hand Singh-Ray filters on some of the web classified forums. A couple years ago I built a nice collection of Singh-Ray's in the Cokin P size by scanning the used gear forums now and then over a couple months' time. Most were in new condition and were priced much lower than new ones.