Outsourced or DIY scanning?

Hi folks,

I'm at the point where I want to start scanning in my old 35mm negatives and

slides (no MF). My goal is to have good files for web inclusion and for smaller

enlargements; my understanding is that for big enlargements, I'd really need to

go to an (expensive) drum scan. I'm totally guessing here, but I probably have

about 200 images I *really* want to scan, but I expect that this will escalate

to about 2000 or so that I'd like to scan.

Wondering if the time and hassle will be worth the additional flexibility of

doing this myself. My time is short (full time day job), but I'm not made of

money either. Worried that someone else might damage my originals as well.

Anyone been down this road recently with their own cautionary tales? Thoughts?

Thanks,

Kelly

www.ekovisions.com

I scanned over 200 images myself... what a PAIN IN THE REAR! Dust... waiting for the scanner... it wasn't a fun process. If there is any way for you to afford it... I'd say have someone else do it.

I just saw this... I am no affliated with them in any way... I posted their link on another thread... but I am dying to try them myself. At these prices... seems worth it to try a few images and see if you are happy.

aaron

www.scancafe.com

If you only have 200 slides to scan, I would recommend using a quality scanning service. If you have 2000 to do, do it on your own. You'll need a film scanner with a multi-slide loader feature so you don't have to sit in front of the scanner the whole day. I have a Coolscan 9000 which can do 5 slides in a batch, that allows me to do other things in between batches. Five slides take about 25 minutes for a 4000 dpi 4x scan. You'll also need to make a scanner color profile so you don't have to fine tune the level and color curve slide by slide. Just scanned the following photo over the long weekend. I probably did about 100 of them.<div>00NrYM-40723384.thumb.jpg.002d43003c6bc4f4a478718a448567cd.jpg</div>

It all depends on if you think you'll enjoy scanning and what your concept of a smaller enlargment is. I like scanning myself because of the extra control, though it can be time consuming and I wouldn't think twice about printing 11x14 from a 35mm scan I did myself. (Provided the film was a low iso.) I'd say if you think scanning may be fun and are willing to put the time into it, you won't find the quality of a dedicated film scanner particularly limiting.

Here are three photos. The first one shows the whole frame. The yellow rectangle shows the zoomed in area used by the next two photos. The zoomed in color photo (#2) shows a 1 time scan vs an 8 time scan. Judge for yourself which one is which one. The third photo (#3), a black and white one, is the blue channel layer of photo# 2, which has the most noise among the three channels. Again, judge for yourselves. The bottom line is multi-scan gives you a bit more detail and less noise, but it doesn't do miracle also.<div>00NsV9-40743884.jpg.3e256cab33a699581163bf522eff834d.jpg</div>

You start doing your own, then you do your brothers or sisters, then you get the rest of the family. Now you have a suitable archive. It is great fun. I have scanned about 13,000 spanning 60 years and many different types of film. Scan them big, you can always convert to jpgs later. The scanning equipment holds its value, though you are likely to continue to scan enough to make it worthwhile to keep it.