Hasselblad: is the camera store guy right?

sfcole

What an ignorant statement for a camera store guy to make. Made even mroe incredulous by the fact that this guy apparently works at a camera store that still stocks 220. Well, even the best run shops are bound to have someone on the low end of the knowledge curve! Or... was he just trying to encourage you to buy a new digital camera?

I agree with Anthony, in that he probably meant a CLA, and not a complete rebuild. How often a lens shutter needs to be serviced depends on a few variables, such as how often it is used, and the conditions under which it is used. Lenses that are used constantly should be serviced every 2 or 3 years. The same applies to lenses that are used in dirty, dusty, hot or humid conditions. Lenses that are not used often should be serviced every 4 or 5 years or so. Of course, this is just a general guide. The lubricants dry up and get gummy over time, and the continued use of lenses with dried up lubricants will cause excessive wear on some of the parts.

"Lenses that are used constantly should be serviced every 2 or 3 years. The same applies to lenses that are used in dirty, dusty, hot or humid conditions."

At one time in my life I was responsible for photography in underground mines - coal as well as deep metal mines. The conditions were not just dusty, dirty, hot and humid... but dark also! Our Nikon SLRs and lenses needed servicing about every 4 weeks of service.

During college, I worked in a camera store that served the pro market. I regularly heard

some of my older colleagues, many of whom passed themselves off as professional

photographers (meaning they had once shot a wedding or a few portraits for money),

spout complete BS, heresay, and unfounded dogmatic drivel about gear.

Of course, it wasn't as bad as the Ritz Camera I worked in when I was in high school where

staff and managers just made stuff up to make a sale. It was at this time that I realized

that a lot of the guys who work in camera shops get off on the assumed notion that they

are expert photographers, when they very rarely are.