Konica Hexar eee

Dear Krzysztof,

From Photonet, Hexar AF review:

CHRISTIAN DEL ROSARIO , NOVEMBER 26, 1997; 01:48 A.M.

? I only have a few gripes: 1)Whenever I manually focus to .6m, the camera locks up and displays EEE. The only way to get the camera working again is to take out the battery and re-insert it. Apparently, some Hexars suffer from this problem. ?

DAVID GABBÉ , JULY 30, 1998; 12:22 A.M.

I have a Hexar Classic. The EEE error code mentioned when the camera is at its minimum focusing distance has a fix. I'm certain the author of that comment was using a filter. The filter prevents the front lens element from full extension. The solution to is contact Konica and ask for a filter shim.

I will suggest that you:

1. Take out the battery.

2. Take off the filter.

3. Reinsert the battery.

4. Try it again.

Hope this help

/Henrik

I posted this earlier, but it got deleted in the last crash. The comment from Christian del Rosario is wrong in the last sentence, this seems to be a problem that affects all Hexars.

Usually, the EEE message comes from the camera trying to focus too close when there is a filter on the lens. If you have a filter on the lens, you should either get the Hexar spacer, which is most likely impossible to locate with Konica not in the camera business anymore, or take off the filter. You won't get the EEE error if the filter is off.

To get past the error, take the battery out until the display goes blank, then re-insert. The camera should turn on fine with no EEE error. If you still have the filter on the lens, you will probably get the error again sometime.

I encountered the same error before. Yes, it is most likely due to the filter and when focusing close. I found out that using the standard E46 UVa 13004 filter by Leica will not result in such problem! (Ha, try it out and see for yourself.) It must have somethig to do with the thickness of the filter. B+W filter would do.

Hi Jim,

To avoid reliving this scare, there's a trick: get another 46mm filter, that contains a filter that is retained by a ring, so called screwed in glass. Take a small screwdriver, place its blade in the notch of the retaining ring and unscrew. Take the glass out. Decide whether you will re-install the retaining ring for yourself, it makes no difference.

Screw this empty ring on your filter thread. On top of it, screw the filter you want to use. Do not overtighten!

You now have created your own 'spacer', making sure the front element of the lens does not get jammed up against the filter when focussing close up.

The Konica 'spacer' was placed inside the lens barrel, thus placing the whole filter thread assembly about a millimeter more to the front and eliminating the problem. I would not suggest you opening the lens yourself to slip in a self created shim. I'm not sure what internal lens layout looks like, you might end up with a jumble of parts...

Good luck, Hexars rule!