How can I convert Kodak Photo CD files to TIFF?

(Initially posted in the wrong forum - my apologies)...

I need to convert a dozen or more old Kodak Photo CDs into a format that

Photoshop will support (ideally TIFF). I am running PS CS3 on a high-end PC.

This software will not recognize the PCD format. I'm aware of the need for an

8bi plug-in, but can't find one for purchase or even for download, not even on

peer-to-peer networks (which I probably wouldn't trust anyway). I have

installed and worked a little bit with Irfanview, and this freeware does

convert PCDs into TIFFs. However, Kodak Photo CDs offer each image in an array

of sizes; I am only interested in converting the highest-quality (largest) PCD

files, yet Irfanview will only convert the lowest quality (smallest) PCDs. This

outcome is utterly worthless to me due to horribly blown highlights in the

smaller PCD files. So my request is this: can anyone a)suggest where I can find

the 8bi plug-in for CS3, or b)tell me how I can interface with Irfanview to

isolate the highest-quality PCDs, or better yet c)suggest an alternative to

these approaches which will actually work? Please note I would like to find a

free solution but am willing to pay if that's what it takes. Many thanks for

any assistance.

Photoshop 7 lists in the open dialog under Files of Type, a Photo CD (*.PCD) option.

I'm sure there must be a way, however, if not, Picture Window Pro has an Open PhotoCD in the menu. The manual says you are given the option to open in 512x768, 1024x1536, or 2048x3072.

I don't have a PhotoCD to try it out. I have ver. 3.5 of PWPro. There's a free trial download on www.dl-c.com

Did you try looking at adobe.com for help?

From their web site:

Open a Photo CD file

You can open Kodak Photo CD (PCD) files, including high-resolution files from Pro Photo CD discs. You cannot save files in PCD format from Photoshop.

Note: You can find the PhotoCD plug-in on the Photoshop CS3 DVD (Goodies/Optional Plug-Ins/Kodak PhotoCD. The ReadMe included in the DVD mentions where to copy the PhotoCD plug-ins and the color profiles.

1. Choose File > Open.

2. Select the PCD file you want to open, and click Open. If the file does not appear, select the option for showing all files from the Files Of Type (Windows) or Show (Mac OS) menu.

3. Select options for the source image:

Pixel Size

Specifies the pixel dimensions of the image. Keep in mind that the on-screen size of the opened image depends on both the pixel size and resolution you choose.

Specifies a device profile for color management.

4. Select options for the destination image:

Resolution

Specifies the resolution of the opened image.

Color Space

Specifies a color profile for the opened image.

Landscape or Portrait

Specifies the orientation of the opened image.

The PhotoCD plug-in is not installed by default in CS3. It is on both the installer DVD/CD and in a folder called "Goodies CS3" (you will have to do a search on your hard drive). In that there should be a folder called "Optional plug-ins". You will find it in there.

Will

Adobe CTI Photoshop

Kodak Photo CD is supported in older Photoshop without any added plugins; ie on the stock install of Adobe Photoshop. Its on my PS 3.0 OF 1996, PS 5.5 of circa 1999, PS 7.0 of 2002, PS CS/8 of 2003, PS/2 9.0 of 2005. All these versions are on one machine; often used to move forward older formats, move forward oddball file variants.

I just downloaded irfanview AND its plugins from tucows.com. The plugin "photo-cd" include higher resolution views. This software is a god-send for me who converted ALL the family memories on film to pcd format in the mid nineties. I have been at a loss how to unlock them using CS3 photoshop. The adobe plugin on the goodies file mentioned above works fine and I am grateful for the hint in this thread, but the batch convert and rename feature of irfanview is just terrific for me.

• 1 year later...

<p>If you have a Macintosh running OSX (10.5.8 in my case) on an Intel machine the problem is more difficult. Here is my experience: In my case, Photoshop CS3 and CS4 will not read a PCD file. I am not sure, but I think that many of the older versions of Photoshop mentioned above will not work on an OSX Intel machine.<br>

iPhoto will effortlessly convert PCD files into JPEGs, but that is not satisfactory for me. I found two programs that run on OSX and will convert to TIFF, PSD, etc. One is "Dragoman" The other is "Contenta Converter". They both have a major shortcoming. They reduce the number of pixels. MY original PCD files are 3072 X 2048. These two programs output files of about !000 X something. That is not satisfactory for me.<br>

I finally discovered that my old copy of Photoshop Elements 4.0 runs on OS 10.5, reads PCD files effortlessly, and makes batch conversions retaining the original number of pixels. Problem solved.<br>

I did not try "GraphicConverter" mentioned above but it runs on an OSX Mac and that would have been my next step.</p>

• 3 weeks later...

<p>You can do it with <strong>Ivan Image Converter</strong>: This is the perfect solution for instant batch processing of all your images. This software converts to <strong>44</strong> file types from over <strong>170</strong>.<br>

Patrick Flynn, with this utility you can convert all your <strong>PCD (Kodak Photo CD) files</strong> to <strong>TIFF</strong> in batch mode in one click. Command Line support.<br>

You can find it here: <a href="http://www.ivanview.com/ivan-image-converter.html">http://www.ivanview.com/ivan-image-converter.html</a></p>

• 3 years later...
<p>This thread has been useful to me. I just downloaded Irfan and the plugins and the result works just fine for me with a Kodak Photo CD. And it is free. Many Thanks to the thread and in particular "<em><a href="/photodb/user?user_id=3916094">Eugene Dong</a> , Dec 24, 2007; 12:40 p.m. I just downloaded irfanview AND its plugins"</em></p>