Nikon D300, Canon 40D or 5D?

c_archer1

I would like to get back into photography and am looking to buy a good digital

camera. My budget is $2000-2500 for the camera. My last camera was a Canon A2E

and I still have it and a few lenses for it, but only one high quality lens.

Over the past month I have read everything I can find on Canons and Nikons in

that price range, i.e., the Canon 40D and the Nikon 300. The Nikon seems to be

the better camera, however, Canon seems to have the edge in lenses and seems to

have a greater selection of fast lenses in convenient zoom sizes and has wider

angle zoom combinations.

Further complicating the decision is the fact that Canon will be releasing an

upgraded 5D sometime within the next few months. Although likely to be a little

above my budget, the full frame option is very attractive. I am also wondering

if I should buy the current 5D now, as the price is dropping.

So I?d love to hear what experienced digital shooters would recommend.

Would you buy the Canon 40 D, the Nikon D 300, the current Canon 5D or wait a

few months until the new Canon 5D is issued? What factors would motivate your

decision? Does Canon or Nikon have the better lens line?

I would wait for the 5D replacement. Although I doubt image quality can/will be improved much (except for perhaps even better high ISO performance), feature wise the replacement should be significantly improved over the current model. If it is out of your price range and you are willing to accepts the 5D's shortcomings (poor monitor, small buffer and slower write speeds) in order to obtain top image quality, the 5D is the way to go.

No matter which camera you choose, you will be happy. The differences are subtle and in the end, the pictures will look pretty much the same.

Thanks for the thoughtful responses. As for my use, it will be primarily outdoor sports (rock and alpine climbing, road and mountain biking), landscapes, and portraits.

Sorry about the double post, Mark. This is my first post to the site and I was not aware that this was verbotten. I wanted to get the views of photographers with preferences for each brand and thought posting on each would accomplish that.

Please accept my apologies, it won't happen again.

Thanks for the helpful advice so far and happy holidays to you all!

The outdoor sports that you mention don't require a camera with a fast frame rate ? so the D300 is not a must. If you were going to shoot birds I'd point you to a crop camera, but it sounds like your subjects could easily be covered by 24-xxmm zoom on a full frame or a 17/18-xxmm on a crop. Since there are great lenses in both systems and good high ISO performance in all the models you mention I don't think it really matters what you get as far as the camera goes. I'd go to the store and pick some of these cameras up and let that be the deciding factor. You will get all kinds of biases here and on the Canon forum but in reality none of these cameras will be rate limiting towards great photos. The one thing that I might point out (and its been awhile since I did any climbing) is that in my experience I?d go with the D300 and the 18-200mm lens for climbing. You don't want to fumble with lenses on a climb. Just put one decent lens on and let that be the end.

I don't think the sports mentioned are conducive to wearing a fireplug around your neck. Will you be participating in the sports, or merely photographing other people engaged in the sports? If you are participating, I would recommend a good quality P&S, like a Canon G9.

Thanks for the insights, folks. This has been a very informative thread for me. Kerry is spot on about the participant issue. When climbing and riding, I have been shooting with a Canon Power Shot SD 800 IS which has a nice wide angle lens and provides amazingly good clarity for its size and price (also not too heart stopping if you drop it). I'm looking for a camera that I'll use mostly when not participating in the activity and for broader landscape & portrait use. The G9 looks terrific, although it sports a less wide angle lens then the PS 800 (35 v 28), it has lots more control options. I thought I'd spring for a camera that would be less useful for participation and more useful for great photos.

Right now I am about 95% decided on the D300 with the 18-200mm lens for starters. The only thing delaying the purchase is the fact that all retailers seem to be out of it! Apparently being named PPs camera of the year did not help out on the supply issue.