Input on Elinchrom radio slave unit

smorris

I really need to get a wireless radio slave unit, and the Pocket Wizards are

just too expensive for me right now.

I saw on Adorama.com some elinchrom radio slave units. Does anyone have any

info or experience with these? the specs looks decent enough, and they are half

the price of the pocket wizards. You get the whole set for the price of one

pocket wizard.

If not does anyone have any thoughts on other radio slave units?

Thanks

SRM

not the most robust things i've handled, but i'm not all that worried about them either. and i can't help feeling that the receiver should have been designed slightly differently, on/off is a button and not a switch, there is no battery check, and it doesn't take replaceable batteries. on the plus side; the flash fires every time, the units are light and small, come in a protective case (trigger/receiver set).. i say recommended! then, i've never handled pw's... nor any other triggers for that matter..

So the unit is rechargeable. You dont pull out batteries. Interesting. I wondr how long they last before the battery dies, and how long to recharge. As long as it is good for a whole day of constant shooting, I guess thats fine.

Are there any other affordable units out there? I had a friend tell me that he made one out of a garage door opener, but I never got a look at it.

Just loking for affordable alternatives to the PW. This one sounds like the trick thus far.

I've been using the Skyports since September. I only do outdoor photos, moving trains at night. They are holding up perfectly, and I've had them out in all the winter weather that South Dakota and Minnesota can throw at them. They've been 100% reliable even when it's below zero. I LOVE the small size. Batteries seem to last at least 6 hours. They have been redesigned now and the switch is on the side of the receivers. They got a great write up a few months ago in Shutter Bug magazine. I'm sold on them--I have seven plus the transmitter. That would be $1,500 if I was using Pocket Wizards. Highly recommended if 400ft. range works for you.

Attached photo used two lights on the train and three on the water tower. D80, Sigma 28mm f1.8.

Kent in SD

'I wondr how long they last before the battery dies, and how long to recharge'

Elinchrom quote 30 hours for the receiver, in addition you can charge while in use - so this is a non issue in the studio. Charge time is 3 hours. The transmitter is quoted at 50,000 flashes or 3 months.

honestly, the Elinchroms do not feel all that robust but I still intend to get several. I've used PWs before and they're not all that robust either. the hotshoe is the worst part of them being two separate halves as opposed to one cast piece. i see no issues using the Elinchroms at all.

plus that smaller size is a godsend. I hated the way the PWs stick 6" off the top of the camera.