tripod/monopod question

johan_de_groote

I have just received some photos from the lab and I have the impression that

they almost all have shake to some extend.

Now those were made with a Kiev 60 handheld with Portra 400 inside a church on

a bright day. Not bright summer day, but bright autumn. Also not a very dark

church. Most were at 1/60 and 1/125. Lenses used were 50-65-80.

Now I have been thinking about a monopod. Lugging a tripod is impossible on

holyday as we're on the move the whole day. Also a lot of places forbid the use

of a tripod inside just like they forbid flash (which I don't like for other

reasons).

But I don't see how you can get any stability with a monopod! If handhold, you

can in theory move in all directions, but practially you are swaying on your

feet and your neck. This is about the same as a monopod, only there due to

construction you are by definition moving on the surface of a sphere. As I see

it, this is only marginally better than handhold.

Am I missing something and can good stability be achieved with a monopod and is

it down to technique? (and I don't want to go to 800 either this will be

problematic outside in the summer (and taking a second body is just a no-go))

Hi Johan. I am an amaetuer photog but I do have some suggestions you may find helpful. First, if you don't use a tripod, do try to take advantage of **any** stable immovable surface on which you can rest tha camera and/or brace your hands & arms. Second, consider purchasing a small portable tripod 8"-12". That will be much more portable than a full size unit, and is much more discrete in holy settings. Third, I am not familiar with your model camera, but if it will accomodate either a "cable-type" shutter release, OR, if it has a "self-timer" button, you could use either of these to release the shutter while camera is on tripod. That removes your hands from the camera, which should help eliminate any camera shake.

Pitch and yaw are the most significant camera motions, and a monopod controls pitch only. It also stops rotation about the lens axis, which is not particularly significant in practice. A monopod also controls the vertical translational mode, but not the other two axes. In short, you gain about 1 stop in camera shake.

I have a bean bag ("The Pod" as I recall) which screws into the tripod socket. This is very effective, and either permitted or discrete enough to escape notice.

VR/IS is a better solution, if available. The next best thing to a tripod would be a Kenyon Labs gyroscopic stabilizer, which works with any camera and any lens on any platform (including aircraft, ships and boats). If neighbors complain about the whine, just say the it's your heart-lung machine acting up again ;-)

I use a tripod, but I would think a monopod would actually help considerably. Yes you can still sway side to side or foward/backward, but in theory you would be removing all straight up and down movements, as well as any down diagonal or up diagonal movements. So instead of ANY direction, your camera would only go side to side or forward or backwards. That seems much better to me. Even then, with the speeds you are shooting at and having a fixed surface to help hold things, you should see considerable improvement.... At least I would think so.

You need to think of a monopod as the third leg of a tripod. YOUR two legs are the other

legs. You need to have the monopod out at about a 45 degree angle in front of you, and

your legs spread. Just envision a tripod, and that is what you want to look like while using

the monopod. I actually am somewhat leaning aginst the monopod when in use. It is NO

substitute for a tripod, but can be much better than nothing when conditions demand it.

Johan,

has your Kiev 60 already received some mirror slap damping refinement? Apart from that a monopod really helps. The movements along the sperical surface (at least forwards and backwards)are a lesser problem than the downward motion that could be induced by pressing the shutter release downwards. Think of the monopod as one of three legs (1 monopod leg, two Johan legs) that produce considerably more stability than a free held camera.

Ulrik

Okay, so it looks as if it is a worthy compromise and effective if used correctly (using yourself as the missing legs). I do have mirror lock-up but it feels very awkward handheld. Maybe with a monopod and a cable release this would be a major help.

I do try to use stable surfaces around (I have visited churches with a chair in tow :-) ). But this isn't always possible. The gyro stabilisation looks a wonderful solution! I'll try the monopod first however...

I've been using a monopod at least 25 years with very good results on both 35mm and 6x6. I have a Leitz Tiltall but it's heavy and I'm not in the best of health now. My monopod has a sling and I can just throw it over one shoulder. The trick, and it doesn't take long to learn, is to make your two legs two parts of a tripod and the monopod the 3rd leg. It isn't a cure-all but neither is a tripod. I guess if you're a really shaky individual it won't help. It truly is amazing the number of people who blame photo problems on what can be traced back to camera shake! I also use a quick-attach on the bottom of the camera I'm using (especially the TLR's) and setting up goes very fast. Good luck!