Leica DBP MDa question

Possibly a microscope camera. The microscope will fit on the right side of the black tube.

The black tube would be an optical beam switch/splitter that allows you to direct the light

beam to a finder (and often a light-meter) on one hand and after focusing and metering

switch the entire beam to the camera for exposure. The switch handle can be seen on top. I

have used a similar looking set-up by Olympus some 40 years ago.

Your camera was made in august 1971. The MDa and MD were made for scientific use, hence there is no rangefinder.

If you google on Leica MDa you should find enough reading material on this camera.

It's a good camera to use with wide angle lenses which employ external finders.

As Rik suggested try a(n) (extreme) wide-angle lens with an external finder, stop down a bit,

lets say to f/8 and set the far end of the DOF range for f/8 at the infinity mark and fire away.

DOF will be so generous that you do not need to adjust focus any further and a rangefinder

will be superfluous. I know, it reads like heresy but non-rangefinder shooters with grey hair

do it all the time.

Prices - I've seen them advertised by UK dealers from 199 to 500 GBP, but they sit on shelves for months, if not years. The price is pretty well whatever the buyer and seller can agree, but essentially it's a buyer's market (esp in the UK). I used one on a WILD petrological microscope for a while, but off the 'scope its use was very limited.

That said, the MD/MD2/etc would be quite useable with super-wideangle lenses (say 12 - 25mm) without the need for a rangefinder, but clearly with an accessory finder. But the Bessa L (or even a Bessa T) is a very much cheaper option. The 'L' is almost given away nowadays, and they have a TTL meter, even if they are significantly less durable. AC