Did engagement shoot and pinks turned red

kacy_hughes

I have a client that I took engagement pictures of a few weeks ago. I finished

the editing and gave her all of the pictures. She emailed and said how much she

loved the pictures...but, she was wondering why her bright pink (magenta?)

sweater was red in all of the pictures. She took a picture of the sweater with

her camera and emailed it to me and said "doesn't it look a lot more pink in

this picture?" I have tried messing with the colors in Photoshop and other

programs and can't get it to look much pinker.

I took the photos in RAW and then did shade white balance afterward. The skin

tones looked way better that way. However, even in the original pictures

(before the white balance change) the sweater does not look any pinker. She is

concerned because bright pink is one of her wedding colors and she wants to get

the "problem" worked out now. I have never had a color issue with my camera

before this (or after for that matter).

I'm not really sure what to tell her to appease her concerns. Nor do I know

what I can do to fix the issue. When I took the pictures it was a sunny day but

most pictures were shot in the shade. She was wearing a white shirt underneath

the sweater and her finance was wearing dark brown...I will post a picture but

I'm wondering if the sweater looked pink in the picture she took because 1. she

wasn't wearing it and there was no white shirt underneath it and 2. The flash

cast a white glow/tint onto it making it appear pinker? Any help would be

appreciated.

Just a total guess here but could it be due to the use of a UV filter? If the sweater is made of wool or a similar material then the structure of the fibers could be acting as prisms scattering UV light and making the sweater look lighter. A UV filter could reverse this effect making it look red.

In my opinion you have the saturation and contrast turned up way too far. You may like the pictures that way, but I try to mimic what can be achieved with profesional color negative film designed for this kind of work.

Maybe it is the printer if you are using Fuji or some other consumer process. One of the reasons I always use a profesional lab.

Go back to the raw file and see what color the red is. Sometimes certain color dyes can react with flash and produce a false color. Maybe you can borrow the sweater to recreate the condition and experiment with different flashes and a UV filter over the flash. It will do no good to filter the UV with a lens filter. Must be on the flash.

If the colors are out of gamut, printer driver attempts to bring them back to a printable form. If working from photoshop, colors with no color mgt at the printer, ps will still adjust colors.

You have a really nice pose there, but look how the hands are cut. A picture frame will make matters worse. Look at the line thru the man`s head and the bright areas in the background.

Don't mess with the whole photo, use Image->Adjustments->Replace Color and just change the sweater while leaving everything else alone. the first eyedropper picks the initial color, the second adds, the third subtracts. On the bottom of the dialog box, you will see a color swatch box, click this and move to the color you want. You will see an update automatically if you have preview turned on. When you find the desired color, click ok.

Or, this is easier, you could just use a Selective color adjustment layer and work the red out without too much trouble.<div>00NiOh-40463584.thumb.jpeg.8ad46ad9d79fbfeebbbfb53337c8cde1.jpeg</div>

Kacy,

What RAW converter did you use? ACR or Lightroom? It could be a clibration thing. Can you try converting with Canon's DPP? If you don't have it, post or email me the RAW file and I'll let you know. I always get horrible reds and magentas with ACR which is why I never use it. This may not be the case here, but it very well could be.

Bogdan

Ok I messed around a little more in Photoshop (by the way I only have elements until I get CS2 in a few weeks) but I got the sweater pink. The first picture I will post is an original before any white balance adjustments (RAW). I use Canon's Digital Photo Professional to handle my RAW images. The 2nd picture is my try at fixing the sweater in PS.<div>00Nifd-40468984.thumb.jpg.5057b2f592776551262e028c6aa391dc.jpg</div>

BTW, they are underexposed since you didn't balance the flash well with the ambient/background exposure. The faces are a bit hot and the back too dark. I looked at one file's EXIF, and 1/200 @ f/5 @ ISO 400 in manual mode will underexpose the back. No need for 1/200. Use 1/60 or less.

Bogdan