Online proofs and printing

audrey_halpern

Hi,

I was wondering what websites people would recommend for online proofs and photo

printing? From searching online, I've found printroom.com and pictage.com --

anyone use these or know if they are good? Any other ideas besides these that

people use? This will be for a small children's photography business.

Thank you,

Audrey

I use whcc.com for my professional prints. Try them out they give you can get five 8x10 prints for free. They are a little bit more than the consumer prints but in the long run quality is better than quantity.

I have recently purchased a site from bludomain.com which has storefront options.

I was really considering pickpic.com

I am going through the same dilemma. Right now I photograph the subject, create a PDF slideshow in Lightroom, email it to the client, they tell me what photos and sizes they want, I order it from Mpix.com, I deliver it to them and they give me a check.

Is it better to get an account with a place like printroom.com or smugmug.com. It would greatly reduce the steps to selling the photos. Instead it would be take the pictures, upload them to printroom.com or smugmug, the client goes on-line and orders them and printroom sends me a check. Plus the client could pay with a credit card, where as I can only take a check.

My worry is that if I use Mpix.com I have to pay the shipping and if a client only orders a couple of prints my profits fall through the floor because of the shipping.

I think I may be answering my own dilemma but would still like some input. Thanks.

• 1 month later...

Love SmugMug! But I still like to handle the ordering process myself. Too much of our business has become "detached" so I find by still custom cropping the images and delivering them keeps that one thing special.

Anyone can accept CCs, just sign up for a paypal account and you only pay 3% of your accepted payment and you can send detailed invoices. Many of the sites charge you anywhere from 15-20% of your order plus an annual fee!

I think that the mentality of "OK I took your pictures, thanks, buy." Is why many people are not making enough money to live on. Yes the digital world is wonderful but Face to Face customer service will never be beat when it comes to making $$. I am actually considering going back to printed proofs, who knew!