Nikon D70 and multiple SB600 or SB800s

everett_cavazos

I need to apologize for my "direct to point" previous answer.

In view of advices received above, I need to add more then...

The "channels" are for light coded communications, and not for flash compensation. Different channels should be used by different photographers if in the same place of shooting, like a church.

Groups are used for flash compensation.

D70 has limitted implementation of the CLS commander function in the built-in flash. D70 flash when used as a commander, uses only one communication channel, and only one group of flashes. So perhaps there is no point to discuss that any further.

Find complete discussions by searching CLS or iTTL.

The D70 defaults to one channel and one group (ch 3, grp B, I think) and you can't change it. No separate compensation is possible.

If you need the full CLS capability and already have the flashes, you probably want to get the SU-800 for $250. Another alternative is to get an SB-800 to use as an on-camera master with a second SB-800 or SB-600 as a remote.

Is budget an issue? There may be cheaper alternatives depending upon what you need.

• 4 months later...

No, for a Nikon D70 you need to put a SB800 on the D70 in order to control multiple light channels. Then you can have multiple SB600's or the more powerful SB800's as your slave.

The D70 will fire commander mode to multiple SB600's or 800's but you cannot adjust the output level. (so instead you pivot the head)

BTW, did you notice that the pop-up flash on a D70 will give you up to a 1/500 flash sync. Pretty cool!