Medium Format vs. Large Format

bruce_schultz

I second the Fuji 6x9 suggestion - before starting LF, I used a GW690 II exclusively for 3 years.<br>

The camera is so simple that you can start making really fine pictures at once, and with a bit of practise the results ref. image quality are really outstanding! On my wall are enlargements up to 60x40cm from the Fuji, next to 70x56cm from LF (both from Velvia transparencies, and of course a tripod was used with the Fuji too), and I can't see any difference in sharpness or tonality (perspective and subject control being an entirely different matter :).<p>

Compared to LF and many makes of MF gear, the Fuji is a point and shoot toy - I took it with me while mountaineering and skiing in the Alpes w/o problems, and it's so unobtrusive that you even can bring it to many places (museums, exhibitions etc.) where only consumer photo equipment is allowed.<br>

Though the shutter of the Fuji is IMHO one of its weaknesses (at least compared to a current Copal) and rather vibration-prone, hand held shooting down to 1/60th works fine. With a monopod (a really advisable accessory to the Fuji), even 1/15th becomes manageable.<p>

When I had my first ground glass experience, I was really tempted to sell the Fuji, but now I think that would have been a huge mistake - for me, it seems like an ideal compliment to an LF camera!

i went from 4x5 to 120 roll film using a camera called the galvin

view...jim galvin has a machine shop and made me an adaptor lens board

making the use of my 4x5 lenses a snap...his ad is in view camera

magazine...the camera is no longer being manufactured but can

ocasionally can be found for sale on ebay...it has all the vc

movements, is incredibly light weight, uses horseman 6x7 and 6x9 roll

fim backs and with a brightscreen provides its user with the total view

camera composition making experience, which is what is most important

to me...tg.

and i use 4x5" technikardan with 4x5", 6x12cm and 9x12cm with lenses

down to 35mm....and i like to use the new 360degrees roundshot 28/220

from seitz....it makes real consequent panorama fotos.

and at least a leica M with 35mm 90mm leica and 15mm (voightländer)

lenses. thats all in one case...and i really have all the

possibilities on the road which i need....

<p>c'mon everyone, maybe we should try to think outside of the box a

bit. what about portable 8x10? why is it either lf or mf? why not a

lighter easier 8x10? bruce, you didn't say the darkroom work was a

hassle, so why not find another way to shoot lf?

<p>i came across this site a while ago. i was interested, but being a

student the camera didnt' seem versatile enough for my use. it might

work for you though. <a

href="http://www.bostick-sullivan.com/hobo/">http://www.bostick-sulliv

an.com/hobo/</a> maybe this would be an option also.

<p>i didn't read all of the above posts very carefully, so if someone

already mentioned this, sorry for clogging up space.

<p>-m

• 11 years later...

<p>John Bailey has a good point! APS-C, 35mm (FF Digital), MF 6x7, 6x9 6x17 and larger format 4x5, all have different uses and different things to offer. I've owned a couple of Fuji 690 MF film cameras, had a Hasselblad H2 with P30 digital back and could shoot film and digital on that rig, owned a Canon 5DII with TS-E lenses. I currently have a Pentax K5 IIs and a Fuji GX617. I'm going to be picking up a Wista 4x5 in a couple of months. The Canon 5DII has been my least favorite camera. IMHO, DSLR cameras are suited best for: wedding photography, portraits, photojournalism, travel, scouting and hobbyists or family fun pics.</p>

<p>MF film has a huge advantage over even the best DSLR, full-frame or otherwise. Large Format (4x5) is currently the King of the Road and hopefully will remain that way for some years. The Tilt Shift options of 4x5 with any lens makes it the ideal landscape camera where complete control and maximum detail are critical. Just look at a photograph enlarged to 30x50 taken on 4x5 film vs a DSLR. The DSLR would be heavily pixelated at 30x50 and yet the 4x5 will still have detail to offer and room to enlarge it even further. This is the reason that museum and art gallery quality photos are often shot on large format film. Just visit the Ansel Adams Gallery and you'll see what I'm talking about.</p>

<p>MF film is a very close second to LF film as it offers plenty of detail to blow images up quite large. The main advantage LF has over MF film is the control of movements and micro-swing capabilities of some field cameras. FYI: using a field camera like a Wista 45 is much easier to carry and take with you than a Sinar rail camera, which requires a box to house it vs the field camera which will fit in most backpacks. Sure the weight is a factor but I'm accustomed to taking two cameras with me in the field and packing about 30-35 pounds of gear. As was previously pointed out by John, you can take a small backpack and DSLR to locate and compose your image, take daylight readings and get some scout images then come back to the same location later with a good Mamiya, Hasselblad, Fuji, Pentax 67 or other 4x5 camera to get the perfect shot.</p>

<p>Keep in mind all formats have a use and each can compliment the other. I use my Pentax K5 IIs for pictures of my kids, portraits, walk-around photography, travel and GP (general purpose) shots. I use the Fuji GX617 when I know I'm going somewhere that offers sweeping vistas or broad landscapes that I'll want to make panoramic prints with. If I'm going somewhere that offers ideal landscapes I'll want a MF film camera like a 6x7, 6x9 or 6x17 or LF like the 4x5. There are some places where the MF doesn't allow me to tilt and shift so the 4x5 becomes the ideal camera. Architecture is unique and you can use both a 4x5 camera or a 35mm FF DSLR with a Tilt-Shift lens. I wouldn't limit yourself to one format unless you are limited in funds and have no plans to shoot multiple types of composition.</p>