MB-D10 and Tripod Bracket

scottl1

While we are on this topic, here is the top side of the MB-D10.

There are main and sub-command dials as well as an AF-On button for vertical. There is also a separate multi-selection pad for vertical (red circle), but it is small and IMO hard to use.

You can see the electronic contacts between the D300 and MB-D10 are aligned in an L shape. On the bottom of the D300, there is an L-shape rubber cover for those contacts; you need to remove that cover (shown to the right of the MB-D10) before you mount the MB-D10 onto the D300. Nikon provides a cavity on the MB-D10, to the right of those electronic contacts, for people to store that rubber cover so that it won't be lost.<div>00NiQI-40463984.jpg.97c741caa7bf50c493841c8be13c195d.jpg</div>

Edward, I don't think the connection between the D300 and MB-D10 is wobbly at all. I think it is quite solid. Of course, if you hold the D300 in one hand and the MB-D10 in another and twist it very hard, there is a little bit of play, but for normal usage, I would say it is almost as solid as my D2X which is all in one piece.

Other then the F4s, whose vertical grip was standard in the US, I have never bought any vertical grip from Nikon (e.g. not for the F100 and D200 I also have) until the D300, so I don't really have anything to compare against, but the MB-D10 is very solid to me.

Unlike the MB-D200, the MB-D10 is made out of metal. The down side is that it becomes very heavy if you put 8 AA batteries inside. It is also expensive with a list price of $300, even after a 20% off (final cost $240) from my local store.

"There is also a separate multi-selection pad for vertical (red circle), but it is small and IMO

hard to use."

At least they added one. For the extended grip on the D200 there was no af selector that you

could use in vertical format. So if you wanted to change the af points you basically had to go

them sequentially by rotating the dial.

It is indeed rock solid.

The weight problem can be somewhat remedied by the use of lithium AA cells.

Also, for those who might have a Kirk L bracket for the D2 it will fit the D300 though it will have to be removed to access the battery compartment. In any case it saves $180.