On Average, How Many Photos Do You Post For Your Clients to Review?

michelle_maor

I usually shoot as many rolls as I feel necessary - generally, though, around 3 rolls (108 pictures). I weed out the duds, and only post the best ones online. It depends on the photoshoot - sometimes, I can shoot a whole roll that's perfect (!), and sometimes, it's not as good. So if we're talking 3 rolls, it can be anywhere from 30-75. It really depends.

I couldn't give you an exact number, but I think variety is key, and keep it manageable. You need to shoot multiple setups -- the whole family, just the mom and dad, just the kids, individual shot of each family member, grandparents alone, grandparents with their kids, grandparents with the grandkids, the son and his family, the daughter and her family, etc. That gives you a maximum number of saleable setups for the customers to get excited about buying. Within each of those setups, you might have shot a dozen frames, but don't show the client a dozen identical frames. Week out the duds obviously but make sure there are differences between the photos that you show. Do show three or four different frames if there are differences in expressions, but not if each frame is identical. The temptation is to say that if you've nailed it on Frame 1 and there's nothing different on the next 2-3, just show one frame of the setup. But some customers might say "you took 12 of that, why are you only showing me one? I want to see the rest." To avoid that, you might show maybe three even if they're essentially the same shot, but that's your choice.

• 4 weeks later...

For a large, extended family about 70-80. For a small immediate family - around 40 - sometimes more if I got a lot of candids of the children.

The goal is to give them enough images to feel really good, but none that detract from the set.

WE do not typically show more than one photo for a given "pose" unless there is something really unique from one to the next - like a priceless expression by one of the children.