Interesting Colour for Leica MP

love4leica

Lawrence C. is correct, I was referring to the Pittsburgh Steelers. The rabid Steeler fans in my area even go to the extent of painting their houses black with yellow trim. If a camera shop in Pittsburgh offered an MP in yellow and black it would sell quickly and at a premium. The red MP certainly works as a fashion statement, especially with a matching red Ferrari that is never driven. I look at the red MP as one more needed sale for Leitz. Dan Kapsner is right, starting with the gold LEXUS Leicas have been a fashion statement for over 85 years. As for Doug Herr's request, I think there was a Leicaflex version that was done in camo colors as the "Safari" edition. Can you imagine the tatoos on the Harley Davidson MP. A really fun post.

Actually, the yellow M that Afzal shows us would have a practical value in the field and around the workshop. My M spends a lot of time mounted on gear such as the Reprovit 2a and other setups. The bright yellow would stand out as a reminder in my busy space that it is precious and to is to be guarded. The Hasselblad MK70 started life with a classy looking grey leatherette and grey enameled metal, but they soon adopted the wasp colours of bright yellow with black trim. Seeing a frame with four such cameras mounted for arial photography I could see this colour scheme working well as a reminder to the mechanics which were the precious bits.

I'm so busy when on an assignment, in or out of the studio, I don't care what the gear looks like. I just needs to work.

Kevin.

That red Leica MP may not be subtle, but it provides sufficient cognitive dissonance to offer some interesting insights into people's assumptions. Many photographers who own and use Leicas prefer them because they are compact, quiet, unobtrusive cameras that facilitate candid photography at close to medium range in available light. When used under those conditions, a black or silver Leica just sort of fades into the background, making it easier to take photographs without being disruptive. A photographer carrying a black Leica is someone who doesn't want to draw too much attention. Under those circumstances, using a bright red Leica would make about as much sense as playing Bach with a Les Paul and a Marshall stack. But who ever said that this is all that Leicas are good for, or that they can't be used in any other way? If somebody wants to use a Leica for portrait photography in a studio, that red one might be a good conversation starter. If somebody wants to use a camera to attract attention, to say "look at me" rather than "ignore me," a bright red Leica would do that fairly effectively. For most photographers, myself included, a camera is equipment whose primary utility is in taking pictures. If somebody with a lot of disposable income wants to wear a Leica as jewelry, though, why should anyone else object? Come to think of it, that red Leica seems to have a lot in common with jewelry from Van Cleef & Arpels -- gaudy to the point of tawdriness, and about as subtle as a brick through a plate glass window, but useful for demanding instant attention from others, if that is what one wants. It also provokes entertaining reactions from convention-bound photographers. Maybe Leica can issue a limited-edition run of them as the Lucille Ball Commemorative Edition or something...

From an aesthetic point of view, I agree with sp... about the blue/silver model. I'd gladly have it for any purpose.

But I will come back to the comments I made above about the yellow camera, and it applies also to the red. Used in scientific applications, the bright colours would serve a useful function. Up until the 1960's at least, there were great numbers of screw and M Leicas mounted on microscopes and a whole range of documenting and repro systems, such as mine are today.