5D doesn't work

Hello all. I have a strategy question.

I bought a Canon 5D with the kit 24-105 L IS lens from Amazon. When it arrived

yesterday I charged up the battery and put in a memory card (Lexar 4G x133).

It won't auto focus and I get an error message E01 (dirty contact?)

No lens auto focuses on this 5D body, and this lens works fine on all my other

EOS bodies. I cleaned the contacts and the problem remains.

Is this common for 5D bodies? I handled one in a store and it did this same

thing.

The Canon service center is just down from my house. Should I get it repaired

or return it to Amazon for replacement?

Shoot. What a disappointment. Amazon has a great return policy, and this is

all under warranty, but shoot. What a disappointment.

I guess you just got unlucky and got a bad one, so returning it for a replacement seems the obvious thing to do. Once you get a working copy, I can assure you you will love it. <p>I got my 5D kit three weeks ago, and as I've also got into the capabilities of Lightroom rather well and know what I can do with my photos in post processing, it's more fun than ever to take pictures. The 24-105 is solid and great as a walkabout lens, which also has me convinced I should stick to L glass in the future too. It does make a difference.<p>

Also, with the dim light of the season this far north, my entire day of shooting on Saturday was at ISO 800 - even the mild default setting in Lightroom removed the chroma noise entirely, leaving just a hint of grain and very sharp images even at pixel-peeper level. <p>

Even with temperatures around freezing, the battery just lasts and lasts, and with two Sterlingtek spares, I've just had to order more compact flash cards so I'll have enough to last me a long weekend away from home. <p>

It's even made me consider selling my medium format camera...

Assuming it's a brand new camera....

If the Service center is right at hand as you say, I'd be inclined to walk in their door with the camera and lens to see if it might be something really silly and simple, before returning it to the retailer for exchange.

If it were something simple and they got it sorted out for you quickly - and you really are so close and convenient - you might be out shooting with the camera a lot faster, rather than waiting for the UPS truck to make the round trip for the exchange.