Whats the Best "Walk Around" Lens for Street Photography ?

jon_kobeck

Well I just ordered a new Canon 5D and I am in need of what I like to call a

walk around lense. I shoot most strret scenes in New York City. Before my last

system got stolen I was using a 30D and my favorite walk around lense for

everyday street photography was the EFS 17-55 F2.8 IS but now I am thinking

would the EF 16-35 F2.8L be a better choice? The only drawback is that it does

reach ut to 55mm. What do you guys think? I need to be at 2.8 for the low light

shooting I do.

I kind of like my 17-40/5D combo for street photography in crowded places. If you like

longer, you could look at the 24-105 - it covers a lot of focal length territory. But, then, I'm

fine with f/4 and a higher ISO.

At f/2.8 your options are pretty limited if you use zooms. The 24-70 should cover more or

less an equivalent focal length range compared to your 17-55, but it is big.

Most of my shooting is street/documentary with a 5D. I use a few primes: the 28/1.8 gets the most use, followed fairly closely by a 50/1.4, and a Sigma 20/1.8 handles the rest. If you like shooting more on the wide side, you might consider a 17-40/4L plus a fast 28 or 35 prime to cover low light situations.

I use three lenses, 35mm f1.4, 50mm f1.4 and 85mm f1.8, and occasionally a 135mm f2. I

never got used to zoom lenses and end up using them at common focal lenghts, but they are

good lenses if you want it all in one or two lenses, as others have suggested. Low light with

f2.8 lenses can be offset with the ISO.

Regarding "vignetting issues" on the 24-105: There can be some noticeable vignetting at 24mm and wide open on this lens.

It is easily corrected in post-processing if necessary, though I often prefer to leave it for a variety of reasons. (For one,

sometimes a bit of vignetting can create an image that "looks" more like the way we see - where we "see" objects in the

center of our vision more than those at the edges.)

One thing you are seeing in the responses to this thread is that many of us have very different ideas of the "best" way to

shoot street. (shoot primes, shoot 24-105, shoot 24-70, use 300mm from a distance, go wide with 17-40 or 16-35.) We

are probably all correct - and each lens choice could be "best" for our personal approaches.

I love using the 17-40 because I like to work close to my subjects, often in confined spaces - but I can also imagine how

one could get some very interesting stuff with the longer lenses.

Take care,

Dan

The 24-105mm is the most versatile focal length with full frame IMNHO for average shooting that you will encounter on the street. I use mine with the 20D & 40D so I hardly ever see what some people are calling vignetting, which is actually light fall off that is likely exacerbated by underexposure. With good exposure, shooting to the right side of the histogram I suspect most of folks 'vignetting' would be a non issue. All my Leica wide angles have some light fall off. Good luck!

"The simultaneous recognition, in a fraction of a second, of the significance of an event as well as the precise organization of forms which gives that event its proper expression... In photography, the smallest thing can be a great subject. The little detail can become a leitmotif." -Henri Cartier-Bresson

The "Father of Street Photography" used a 50mm lens. So, the 50 1.4 seems like a great choice. If you need a zoom, use your feet like I do..

35/2.0 - very light, fast, not too wide. Accompanied with either 85/1.8 or 135/2.0. For 20mm recommendation - I would like someone posting at least 10 street shots of, say - a day walkaround, which are keepers. I can hardly imagine being successfull with that short lens, not having subject just quarter of the frame and rest being objects/subjects not belonging to the "story".

I don't say it's impossible to do it with 20mm and that it can't be appealing - I say, it's not easy.

<p>Interesting statement, "300 2.8 an sit back more than you are used to. Compress the

distance and pick out individuals in the crowd.", as I've used a 300mm f2.8 with street

photography besides the obvious events. It allows you to set up away from folks or where it's

hard to get close, see <a href="http://www.wsrphoto.com/about.html">image</a>. The

only downside is not to point it at people who are too close or may express their opinion of

being photographed. It's too heavy to pack and run away fast.